Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota MR2 Engine Rebuild or Swap

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
get your self to a auto store, supercheap or the like, and buy a bottle of Nulon stop smoke! add it to your engine oil asap! it will help with the smoke issue :)
Is the smoke a white/blue sort of colour?

White smoke. Looks like a smoke bomb went off around my car.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
The thing is... I don't want to do Head Recon ($3300) ... (they all say have to take engine out to do it) then they put it back on and engine back into car to then fix the problem and have to get the full rebuild done (which will cost more because of labour again).

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
head rebuild $3300 (won't know if it will fix the oil), full rebuild $6600. Won't know until engine is opened.

Expensive for a head rebuild, i got 2 heads (304 V8) recoed for $600 that was valve re-seat, valve stem seals, valve springs replaced, skimmed and acid dipped and a head gasket kit!
I guess most of that cost is going to be labour, you need to learn how to fix your own car's mate, will save you a fortune!

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
The thing is... I don't want to do Head Recon ($3300) ... (they all say have to take engine out to do it) then they put it back on and engine back into car to then fix the problem and have to get the full rebuild done (which will cost more because of labour again).

you will be able to tell how the bottom end is looking with the head off, you can check for piston slap and also check the condition of the bores! you can even have the bores honed! Just get your head done and your car will be fine!!

No rattles from the bottom end..??? dont worry!!

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Expensive for a head rebuild, i got 2 heads (304 V8) recoed for $600 that was valve re-seat, valve stem seals, valve springs replaced, skimmed and acid dipped and a head gasket kit!
I guess most of that cost is going to be labour, you need to learn how to fix your own car's mate, will save you a fortune!

I know most of it is labour, I got quoted (if I took the head itself in) $900. But because they have to take the engine out they adding heaps of labour.
It's a bit difficult to learn about cars when your studying at uni and working full time.. plus if you don't know anyone that can help you out.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
you will be able to tell how the bottom end is looking with the head off, you can check for piston slap and also check the condition of the bores! you can even have the bores honed! Just get your head done and your car will be fine!!

No rattles from the bottom end..??? dont worry!!

So where do you think the 1L of oil is leaking from? there must be a bloody huge hole or something

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I should probably mention, that in my manual, the 3S-GE has recommended 178PSI and minimum is 142psi with no more than 14psi difference between cylinders. So my compression test wasn't that great. Dry test: 150, 150, 150, 145. Wet test: 160, 165, 160, 160.

Btw Hi Flow Reconditioning did the compression test and that's the figures they got. Said it was good. (I got the manual after he done the test)

Edit: I did a compression test before anyone else looked at the car. Think I had a faulty Tester (it was brand new tho, $50 (most expensive at supercheap)) and got ridiculous pressures. My Dry test 185, 190, 192, 192. Wet Test: 230, 260, 240, 250. (Put 1tablespoon of oil into each cylinder).

Edit: Near the beginning when the white smoke wasn't that bad. If revs were over 3000, you'd see black smoke coming out (according to my dad), I never really reved it over 3000 so I didn't notice it.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
So where do you think the 1L of oil is leaking from? there must be a bloody huge hole or something

Your compression ratios are well with in specs so i would think it is more than likely be your valve stem seals.

Find somewhere that will do the head with the engine still in the car! im sure its possible, access is not that restricted!

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Are there no decent workshops out there? I've taken it to Toyota, Hi Flow Reconditioning, RAC, AutoMasters. This is what each of them told me.

Toyota - Can't do anything until we open up the head, could just be stem seals,
AutoMasters - Needs new engine
Hi Flow - Did CO2 test - blown head, did compression test - all good, not sure about the oil. Full rebuild 6-10k.
RAC - smokes ALOT, head rebuild $3300 (won't know if it will fix the oil), full rebuild $6600. Won't know until engine is opened.

$6k-$10k for a engine rebuild? Thats farked.

I'd do the head gasket and possible valves/stems first.

If it still blows heaps of smoke then I'd just chuck a second hand donk in.

That way it will cost less than getting just the heads rebuilt.

Toyota sounds like they have a clue. Get yourself a service manual and see for yourself whether the engine has to come out.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Sorry I hadn't mentioned this earlier.

I was just reading through my other thread at ToyotaNation MR2 Forum.

They thought the standard compression was 192psi, with a limit of 156psi. 192PSI is standard for a Rev3. They also say check PCV Valve (You may be getting excessive blowby).

The standard for a Rev1/2 is 178PSI. With a 142PSI Service Limit.

I've got a PDF Manual - Toyota RM164E - Rev 1/2,
I also had the PDF Manual - Toyota RM396E - Rev 3