Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota shoots itself in the tackle

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
For such to occur, the grid will need enormous upgrading to the transmission system so it can better cope with mass EV “night” charging. The base load will also need to be increased to cope with EV charging.
EVs need to be charged during the day to take advantage of abundant solar energy during the day. Guess where your car is going to be parked during the day? Good luck getting your employer to stump up for charging infrastructure at work.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Let me clarify that theres no reason logistically that we couldn’t all have EVs with sufficient infrastructure for the vast majority to be able to charge them.

The problem is it has to be mandated to make it happen. The people who have to be mandated to are the rich in society (landlords, property developers, employers). How well has that been working out so far?

They will squeal like stuck pigs at the slightest impost on them and take out adds in the media to tell everyone that it’s going to be the general public that will pay the price. Same as they always do, and the majority will fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Most people will just recharge their EV at home - why go to a recharging station for 30 minutes or more when you can plug in at home and just leave it to recharge overnight. I’m not sure why there would be may need to “convert and rebuild carparks across the country”. We don’t have mini petrol bowsers at carparks at the moment so people can ‘top up’ while they shop, so I don’t think we are going to see car parks with charging points dotted all over the place. It’s not like an EV can only go 20km without charging.

The big infrastructure will be needed on the long interstate runs where fast charging is needed to quickly refill the battery. But for everyday city commuting, the bog standard home charger will be more than sufficient.

I don’t think EVs are using ‘more energy’ but rather they are using electrical energy to recharge instead of chemical energy to refuel. The chief advantage is that by (eventually) changing the big central generators from fossil fuels to renewables, it in effect transitions the transport from fossil fuels to renewables too - and everything else that is electrically powered. As you said, it small steps along the way to a complete transition.
Good point on the carparks. I just don’t trust corporations to leave that untapped. It’s why I posted a rant. Get some good discussion about it.

As far as energy goes. I’m thinking more about the energy used to mine the materials, then to build the car and the energy used by the car ongoing. Their ability to last will of course be compromised because of the complexity of the systems and shitty electronics. Written off for the sake of under skilled repairers and a broken computer.

It’s like LEDs they were supposed to last decades. But they don’t because of how crap the electronics are that drive those. All the energy and resources to make those parts wasted for the sake of profit over quality. A bloody old light globe might have used energy at our end but production was simple and cheap. Commercial buildings will see LEDs **** them selves regularly. I’ve lost count of quality LED bulbs that have crapped out in my place. An old incandescent bulb lasted longer.

I don’t think we have the infrastructure, auto industry skills, and supply of computer parts to see anything but wastage of new cars with short lives. Consumers will be left with their proverbial reproductive junk in the cold wet wind.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Good point on the carparks. I just don’t trust corporations to leave that untapped. It’s why I posted a rant. Get some good discussion about it.

As far as energy goes. I’m thinking more about the energy used to mine the materials, then to build the car and the energy used by the car ongoing. Their ability to last will of course be compromised because of the complexity of the systems and shitty electronics. Written off for the sake of under skilled repairers and a broken computer.

It’s like LEDs they were supposed to last decades. But they don’t because of how crap the electronics are that drive those. All the energy and resources to make those parts wasted for the sake of profit over quality. A bloody old light globe might have used energy at our end but production was simple and cheap. Commercial buildings will see LEDs **** them selves regularly. I’ve lost count of quality LED bulbs that have crapped out in my place. An old incandescent bulb lasted longer.

I don’t think we have the infrastructure, auto industry skills, and supply of computer parts to see anything but wastage of new cars with short lives. Consumers will be left with their proverbial reproductive junk in the cold wet wind.
With all the doom and gloom, looks like our futures are either the old horse & buggy or the original way of transport, walking. :(

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The gov't will really have to upgrade our electricity supply before they start the massive EV push...As it is, they talk about power rationing during peak summer/winter periods, because the power grid can't cope....Imagine the load on the grid with 50 million EV's needing to be charged up

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The gov't will really have to upgrade our electricity supply before they start the massive EV push...As it is, they talk about power rationing during peak summer/winter periods, because the power grid can't cope....Imagine the load on the grid with 50 million EV's needing to be charged up

Good point, but I don’t think that we’ll be charging all of them at the same time. A bit like our petrol stations would be overwhelmed if everyone was trying to fill up at the same time.

I suspect that market incentives will kick in to encourage recharging when energy is more available, a bit like the oLe ‘off peak’ tariffs of the days gone by.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
With all the doom and gloom, looks like our futures are either the old horse & buggy or the original way of transport, walking. :(
You’ll pry my V8 out of my cold dead hands!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
The electricity company i work for are talking about building 2 new 11kV feeder lines to try and meet the expected demand caused by EV chargers.
There’s going to be a lot of investment in the grid required to support all the EVs. Works for me as I’m in the MV power sector as well.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s a downside as well as a benefit. Any EVs plugged in can be used to support the grid by discharging their batteries into the grid to support it. That requires two way chargers and a suitable compensation mechanism to make it happen though.