Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trailer wiring harness (genuine) - plug and play?

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
The issue I will encounter is that when reversing, the reverse park assist will beep a continual tone.

Reversing will obviously pick up the trailer behind and see it as an object. Disabling this does it mean the reverse sensors wont work at all even without the trailer?

Interested in the results, Im planning to get a towbar aswell over the next months, and DIY install

The Ve was definitely plug an play buying a genuine harness/ecu of ebay.

For the VF, there is the setting in mylink where you tell it you have a tow bar, have a play with that setting, it may be all that required if the rest of it is meant to be plug and play?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
The service guy said the BCM change is needed regardless of the Mylink setting.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
OK so towbar fitted, wiring harness with trailer module installed.
The driver display says check trailer lights with no trailer connected. The indicators flash double-time. The reverse park sensors cease working. The car thinks it has a trailer with faulty lights connected.
Dropped into the dealer. They programmed the BCM. All works perfectly. $66.00 less than 30 minutes.
All good.

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
Hi mate, Did you happen to take any photos of your towbar install?

Is it the same as a ve towbar? Ive been doing the ring around and some vendors are saying the vf towbar is completely different to the ve , and other places say they are identical. There are several 1600kg towbars new on ebay cheap at $240 shipped, fit both ve and vf, curios to find out what the go is there

Cheers

sersev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais v 6.0
Hi, just installed a towbar on my vf. I bought a secondhand one from the wreckers, it had ve written on it but it fit perfectly. As for the module, its plug and play. There is a plug next to the battery just hook it up. Also you can change setting via mylink

Last edited:

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Hi mate, Did you happen to take any photos of your towbar install? No I didn't, I assume you'd like to see the towbar before the install? Can post one of the after install if you wish though.

Is it the same as a ve towbar? I don't know about that. It is a genuine Holden VF 1600kg towbar.

Ive been doing the ring around and some vendors are saying the vf towbar is completely different to the ve , and other places say they are identical. The towbar itself may well be the same. I'm pretty sure the wiring harness and module are different though. The VE harness used to pass through a hole the installer drilled in the spare wheel well. The VF harness passes through the same hole the existing harness passes through which is located at the rear of the left quarter panel and accessed with the bumper removed.

There are several 1600kg towbars new on ebay cheap at $240 shipped, fit both ve and vf, curios to find out what the go is there The towbar may well fit VE and VF. At a guess, you'd still need a wiring solution.

Cheers

Happy investigating!

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
Thanks mate, do the vfs have the aluminium impact bar like the ve's ? Trying too look inside my ve bumper and all i see is foam

sersev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais v 6.0
The vf has a black foam piece. Just take it out and place towbar

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
sersev:2849092 said:
The vf has a black foam piece. Just take it out and place towbar

Yep what seserv said. Foam.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Rang service at my dealer this morning.
They reckon that as far as install goes it will be plug and play. The issue I will encounter is that when reversing, the reverse park assist will beep a continual tone.

strange that... there is a setting on MYLINK on mine to 'tell' the computer there is a towbar attached.

If you have a towbar and don't change the setting, when you reverse the reverse beep will drive you crazy
you make sure it is set correctly