Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission line to radiator VX V6 leaking badly

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Got it off the net from a parts dealer, no brand that I'm aware of. I compared the two radiatorswhen I got the old one out and they looked very similar. Should have got the tape measure out, it wasn't until i was screwing in the bottom line that it was a bit tight. The threads looked close and the other nuts have sealed up fine

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Anyone know if it is ok to use teflon tape on the thread? Would it help?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If it is leaking from the flange teflon tape won't help.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
If the nut is tight but leaking, then you may have cross threaded the nut, and if it is like the vz, then there is a flat washer goes on the double flare on the tube, and no, Reece do not carry them.
The washer could still be in the old radiator or on the ground.
Thread seal on the nut is a no no but thread seal wrapped on the end of the tube will work, just make sure it is not over the end of the tube.
Get some thread seal about 20 cm long and run it down your leg with both hands, rolling it as you go so it forms like a piece of string, then wrap it where the washer should go on the end of the tube, so it sits against the inside of the radiator, and then the nut does up against the flare to hold it tight.

edit..If it is same as the radiator pic above, a small smear of loktite sealant number 3 will help but don't allow it to get into the tube, only on the flare, that is of course if the thread is correct and not crossed.

Last edited:
D

devilly

when my line was leaking I used knead it for metal. you rub it really well in your fingers till it stinks really bad I mean really bad then wrap it around the area.

make sure the lines clean from oil before doing it, also if you do it you'll have big issues to remove it later so you would have to drill it off. by me fixing the connector it then blew out the other one so then I changed out the line it self, bugger of a job to do in the shed. it's the only thing I found to work after trying a heap of other ideas. I tried taping it I used welders tape that worked for a while then leaked again, I tried shrink taping it. good luck hope you get it fixed up

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

On Sunday morning I pick up various washers and o rings and grommets. I settled on a rubber washer that is a snug fit on the aluminium line. I carefully slipped a washer over the flare (first one ripped), slid the nut down to the flare and attached the nut to the radiator. This might clarify that the leak wasn't coming from the thread, which is still ok, but was bleeding from between the nut and the aluminium line. The washer has stopped the bleeding and i decide to take the car today instead of mine and there was a tiny drop on the gravel near that point. I put a piece of cardboard under the car just now in the garage to see if it drips.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
If the nut is tight but leaking, then you may have cross threaded the nut, and if it is like the vz, then there is a flat washer goes on the double flare on the tube, and no, Reece do not carry them.
The washer could still be in the old radiator or on the ground.
Thread seal on the nut is a no no but thread seal wrapped on the end of the tube will work, just make sure it is not over the end of the tube.
Get some thread seal about 20 cm long and run it down your leg with both hands, rolling it as you go so it forms like a piece of string, then wrap it where the washer should go on the end of the tube, so it sits against the inside of the radiator, and then the nut does up against the flare to hold it tight.

edit..If it is same as the radiator pic above, a small smear of loktite sealant number 3 will help but don't allow it to get into the tube, only on the flare, that is of course if the thread is correct and not crossed.

When you mentioned rubbing thread seal down your leg, it triggered a memory of the old man in his early plumber days doing that. Sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure where it should go. Do you mean to wrap it around the line in between the nut and the flare?

I have some loctite 3, sounds good

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
When you mentioned rubbing thread seal down your leg, it triggered a memory of the old man in his early plumber days doing that. Sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure where it should go. Do you mean to wrap it around the line in between the nut and the flare?

I have some loctite 3, sounds good

You got it, I am a retired plumber.
It will only work if the end of the tube is double flare ??? like VZ, because they had a washer on the tube, but if it is single flare like the radiator in the pic above by user name VT&VX, then locktite is the go.
Almost impossible to keep a washer/"o" ring on a single flare.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
You got it, I am a retired plumber.
It will only work if the end of the tube is double flare ??? like VZ, because they had a washer on the tube, but if it is single flare like the radiator in the pic above by user name VT&VX, then locktite is the go.
Almost impossible to keep a washer/"o" ring on a single flare.

Good memory hey, stoked how your description brought it back. I might have forgotten that forever :) Can you still get threadseal?

I'm sorry but I just realised that when I managed to ease a washer over the flare, I couldn't get the nut to bite because the washer was too wide. So I ended up bringing the flare up inside the nut and siting the washer on the flare so it is sealing against the brass connector on the radiator, as accentstencil did with the o-ring. My brain was a bit out of whack and my memory of yesterday just kicked in.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Good memory hey, stoked how your description brought it back. I might have forgotten that forever :) Can you still get threadseal?

I'm sorry but I just realised that when I managed to ease a washer over the flare, I couldn't get the nut to bite because the washer was too wide. So I ended up bringing the flare up inside the nut and siting the washer on the flare so it is sealing against the brass connector on the radiator, as accentstencil did with the o-ring. My brain was a bit out of whack and my memory of yesterday just kicked in.

Thread seal readily available, but I believe your Dad may have used hemp not thread seal.
The hairy stuff.