Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission options for an l67 in a vy?

David Dunger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VY executive
2nd to third slippy.
in auto mode
it occurs going from 2nd to third at 60km and
when the auto shifts down from 4th to third at 100km

manually shifting up from 2nd to third.

David Dunger

Reaction score
Members Ride
I said it in post #3, those are really the only ones worth looking at. You won't be able to run any automatics with more than 4 gears on your stock ECU and there aren't any that will straight bolt up. There are not a lot of options for the Ecotec, auto or manual, even with adaptor plates, and TBH there doesn't really need to be, they're all pretty good boxes (maybe bar the Getrag) and all really common.

Like I said, when was the last time you changed the oil? Have you done any trouble shooting at all?

The only trouble shooting was to manually shift once to see what was happening. 2nd to 3rd is long and sloppy. I would be happy to change to a manual. the ecu has a custom setup from mace engineering. since the problem is getting worse I think it is the auto and it needs a service, but maybe purchasing a 2nd hand one is cheaper?

David Dunger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe a good idea to get a S/Hand Transmission, get it services before you install it,
then install it and see how it goes,
The L67 Transmission is a slightly different one to a stock tranny, but a STD one will get you going again.
i recently converted from l36 to l67, maybe the stock l36 trans wasn't strong enough for my l67?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
i recently converted from l36 to l67, maybe the stock l36 trans wasn't strong enough for my l67?
Nope - they’re the same transmission. Tc stall speed is the only difference - but either converter won’t have a negative effect on life expectancy.

Just get another good Ecotec trans.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it comes time to replace mine i will look at a reco as it will last a long time once done better than factory. There are things you can do to help improve the box by just upgrading a couple of parts while the pan is off, without full dismantle.