Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo vs V8

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Everyones seen this or that or their mates seen it or mates of a mate blah blah blah

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
Toms 50th Ani said:
Thats what I hate about Jap rice cars.. Without their precious little turbo, they're nothing more than an average family car with a 2.5L or 3L engine.

V8's have the raw power and tourque to make me want one :D

I may not know much about cars but I laugh everytime some young kid drags my commy and all you hear out of his PoS is a Pissshhhh and something rattling in his fart-pipe.

cheers

Nowadays alot of Jap cars (stock) would beat alot of Commodore 6s (stock).

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
thanx to all of you for the help, it's much appreciated. :):):)

vh_thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
Turko said:
Between the two motors there is no real comparison.

i agree, the ls2 is far superior with around double the power/torque.

the thought in the ls2 drivers mind?
'i may have lost, but i'm still driving a brand new ls2 and not 20 year old vl'

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
angelo.vs said:
Nowadays alot of Jap cars (stock) would beat alot of Commodore 6s (stock).

Pretty broad statement there mate. What jap cars we talking about exactly?

F

fsck

Alot of the stock jap cars will beat a stock 6 commodore. But don't forget those cars aren't very moddable at all..

Your standard Japanese sports model comes with a 4 or 6 cylinder 2.0 or 3.0 litre engine, usually running 6PSI on a single turbo, with intercooler sometimes, some come with twin turbos. These engines are factory tuned and because of their low displacement don't come anywhere near breaking the emmissions standards. Now, beyond boring(jap motors don't take well to it, the cylinders are pretty tight in already, though I did myself bore a 2.6 litre Astron II(Magna engine), and stick a turbo on it for a project, which came out well) Never heard of a stroked jap engine... On top of that they're usually AWD/FWD, meaning less powertrain so less power loss, and use the lightest parts possible.

Your standard V6 Commodore runs an economical tune, the fact that you can get 10rwkw out of a memcal alone shows this. The engine isn't running forced induction, or a particularly good CAI(I dislike over radiator CAI). As is well known, an ecotec can be easily stroked up to 4.2L, boring I don't know yet, I should look into it. Granted, the Commodore uses a RWD system, which puts about a 25% loss on the final power at the wheels.

The Commodore moddability carries over to the sports models for the most part. Now dollar for dollar stock, you get more performance out of your Jap sports model, however what in the end are you going to have more fun with? Your "I can't do anything to this because the factory did everything" Japanese car, or your "Whoah look at all this cool **** people do to their cars" Commodore? I choose the Commodore every time.

The fun isn't in the speed, it's the journey in getting there.

T

Turko

BLACKVZSV8 said:
If its only "lightly" modified then its not gonna be that quick.

Got a 1/4 mile time?
When i mean lightly, He has only spent about $3000 on the car. Engine/Turbo Wise.
His last run down 1/4 was high 12's.
It doesnt cost much at all to make these cars quick man. I would rather a LS2 though :D

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
BLACKVZSV8 said:
Pretty broad statement there mate. What jap cars we talking about exactly?

350Z, Corolla Sportivo, Integra Types S or R (whatever the new ones are called), WRXs, EVOs, Libertys, V6 Magnas (not exactly sure what model), Liberty, RX8 and the like.

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Turko said:
When i mean lightly, He has only spent about $3000 on the car. Engine/Turbo Wise.
His last run down 1/4 was high 12's.
It doesnt cost much at all to make these cars quick man. I would rather a LS2 though :D
An LS2 with a tune and zorst will run into 12's also, and thats NA, racing a modified vs stock isnt exactly a fair race, besides as someone else said, i knwo what id prefer to be in at the end of the day.

T

Turko

minux said:
An LS2 with a tune and zorst will run into 12's also, and thats NA, racing a modified vs stock isnt exactly a fair race, besides as someone else said, i knwo what id prefer to be in at the end of the day.
Yeah I found out, He ran a best of 12.6, on 8psi boost. If he boosted it to about 14psi. He'd get a 12.0 easily Im sure.