Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin Turbo VS Ecotec Build **engine build in progress page 16**

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
I hope my manifolds look better than them.

The problem is that someone says something isnt possible without REALLY trying. Im gonna REALLY try to get around the ABS issue.

Its either that or have both turbo's on the same side opposite the ABS module which actually was my first placement point for the turbo's. I think that look is tough but also alot of work running pipes behind the motor.

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
Thank god for IBLOWN thank you about time someone said it
The problem is that someone says something isnt possible without REALLY trying.
its the same when i told everyone i was going to get 200rwkw out of my VT N/A with nothing but new valves n springs forged pistons and then straight bolt ons and im almost there everyone said it cant be done but they've never tried.

i wish you all the best of luck with this project and i cant wait to see it sounds like a really awesome idea. and mate if you wanna do it you'll find a way

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Each of my exhaust pipes are 2 1/4'' so the dump pipes can be 2 1/4 too? Is 2 1/4'' pipe acceptable to run from the manifold runners to the turbine housing? After all they are pretty small turbo's but im going to have a room issue so i need to keep the pipes as small as possible.

Hi Mate - I'm no expert on this by any stretch of the imagination, nor do I claim to be - so my answer is based on bits and pieces of reading I've done over time.

With the dump pipes - you want to run at LEAST the size that's off the back of the turbo, if not even bigger! - this is to allow the exhaust to come out damn hot from the turbo when it's taking up heaps of volume due to it's temperature.

Once it cools down (i.e. once it gets under the car or something) the pipe doesn't need to be so big. - so minimum match whatever the back of the turbo is - otherwise if you have the room go .5" or so bigger, then go smaller under the car and mate to your exhaust.

as for the exhaust between the motor and the turbo housing - the smaller the pipes, the more gas velocity you get through there, which I would assume means quicker spool and better response - however if you go too small, you will be choking the motor and harming how much power it can ultimately make.

.... and then again, the turbo itsself is a restriction for the exhaust gas anyway - so maybe 2.5" pipe is more than big enough :)

I guess the best bet would be to find some calculators on the net to work out how much the turbos can flow with whatever size rear housing they have on there, and then match all the pipe sizes etc to suit! - or speak to a friendly workshop that specializes in turbo manifolds etc, and see if they're willing to share knowledge.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah they were my thoughts too luke. I think 2 1/4 (57mm) is big enough for the dumps. 57mm should be bigger than the turbine.

Maybe i only go 2'' for the inlet to the turbine?

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
why not do the manifolds like below but a little tighter...

[EDIT] it said the picture was added ? oops...

Attachments

• 113_0602_01_z+aluminum_buick_v6+ta_performance_engine.jpg
    113_0602_01_z+aluminum_buick_v6+ta_performance_engine.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 907
Last edited:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey man this looks awesome, cant wait to see more progress. Maybe you can help me later on in the year with converting an L67 to either a big single or twin turbos?

Keep up the good work!

Haha, i'll see how i go with mine first!

p_schrapel

soon to be big turbo
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
sway9 said above about forged pistons. im after a set at the moment and cant find much in the ecotech area for pistons. im after a good set of forged pistons as im planning on running around 20psi in my vs v6 without decomping it. its only a weekend car and dont mind blowing it up having fun. how much did they set u back and where did u get them from if someone can help me. im after a set of really good rods and pistons.

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
my pistons were ameican import my cousin got them for me and fitted them we needed to hone the cylinders out abit to fit em. ur lookin about 1800 for pistons n bout 90ish for connecting rods thats per rod. very expensive mod but its makes the engine far solid. zz performance done mine. flat tops 9.9 ratio. if you want ones for turbo or supercharged app. id reccommend 8.5 ratio if u can find em and bout .020 out stock if u want more torque before boost