Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre recommendations

nightmare

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
LOL found what i was looking for
'the g3 is a good tyre if you get the jap ones the ausie version develops a bit af a wobble at about the 180-190 mark so if you get them ask for the g3 not the grid 3' jimmy781

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Scooter79 said:
You would seriously hope that ANY tyre would last well over 20,000kms. If it doesnt there would be something seriously wrong with either the tyre or car.

I put Kumho KH15's on my VS exec last year. Fantastic tyre! Very difficult to get it sideways in the dry and wet and also a very very smooth quiet ride. In fact the Kumho's were so quiet I soon noticed how bad the diff whine was. Only $95 each. That was for 205/65 R15. Sold the car 2 months later.
firestones are one of the best i recond

Burty65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0litre "Thunder" Ute - Auto
kabang said:
What 15" tyres wld you recommend for VZ Acclaim, doing a mixture of city and long country trips...looking for good grip in dry and wet.

If you notice what setup the Vic police use with their commodores, you will soon realise that 205/65 15 is a budget saving size.

The police go for 215/60 15. I had a new VS ute back in the later 90's, and the transformation when changing profile slightly was massive. This was on the back of pulling into a servo and a divy van (a VS ute with the drop in unit on the back) pulled in. Same 15 inch wheels, but 215/65 15.

Not only was the grip and handling improved, I got excellent mileage out of the Falkens that I fitted.

I have recently discovered Maxxis tyres at Bob Jane, which are very impressive for the price, and have faired well in Wheel's mags' tyre comparisons.

Hope this helps.

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Funnily enought the more expensive the tyre, and better the grip, the shorter the life of the tyre as the compound used is a lot softer. Everyone saying they get huge kms out of tyres obviously doesnt have a lot of HP at the treads and if they do, they dont use it. The SV8's factory tyres got replaced on the rear at 30,000kms with a mm above the indicator. The fronts still have around 50%. I dont do burnouts either its simply a case of the tyres trying to get 300hp to ground without spinning that causes premature wear. My VN hade the same HP and a minispool which killed the tyres even faster.

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Oh I replaced the tyres with pirrelli dragons, awesome grip in the wet and the dry !!

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
Hey BLACKVZSV8 have u tried the dragons out on the gravel roads... theyre unreal expecially on the corners, stuff all give whereas the RE88's would carry on like a bitch.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Either my car is down 50rwkw today or the retreads I bought for the back of my car today are insanly good!. I havn't tried stalling it up but I tried foot to the floor from standing start in the rain and it STUCK like full stuck they are a very soft rubber so I don't expect them to last long but it's amazing stuff for a $65 tire, the Bridgestone G-Grids I took off would spin all first gear in the dry

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
cold_carve said:
Hey BLACKVZSV8 have u tried the dragons out on the gravel roads... theyre unreal expecially on the corners, stuff all give whereas the RE88's would carry on like a bitch.

dont do any gravel driving mate haha

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
greenfoam said:
Either my car is down 50rwkw today or the retreads I bought for the back of my car today are insanly good!. I havn't tried stalling it up but I tried foot to the floor from standing start in the rain and it STUCK like full stuck they are a very soft rubber so I don't expect them to last long but it's amazing stuff for a $65 tire, the Bridgestone G-Grids I took off would spin all first gear in the dry

They still sell retreads? Dont try any high speed runs with them !!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah! but they call them remoulds because they don't have seems like they used to so they shouldn't be able to fall apart like the old days. I'll see what they go like sideways when the roads dry out, wasn't willing to try it today in the rain when I didn't know what they will or will not do :) but I was very impressed for the price. Can't justify 150 or 200 bucks on a tire when they are melted and falling apart after one day at the drags anyway