Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance recommendations

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I’m curious here, but what happens if you don’t declare modifications? Nothing major like a turbo or supercharger.
Will they “tear up” or void the insurance contact entirely, or just not pay out the cost of modifications?
I have heard that the modifications must have contributed to the accident, but then again I hear/ read so many other opinions?

Because if that is the case, how would a P-plate drive with basic modifications be covered by insurance since performance enhancing modifications are illegal?

Part of an insurance companies policy is, the car must be roadworthy...So illegal modifications place the car as unroadworthy therefore make the policy null and void....

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Only a fool wouldn’t declare everything to the insurance company. They aren’t in the business of paying out, they are in the business of collecting premiums and not paying out.

Best to not give them an excuse to not pay out in the first place. Nearly all insurance PDSs will say that modifications can void your insurance entirely so you’re running a big risk by not telling them everything that you know is modified. There’s no laws determining what gets paid out and what doesn’t, it’s up to the discretion of the insurance company via their PDS.

Its possible that if you bought a car secondhand and it had pre existing modifications that aren’t visible or otherwise obvious (say a camshaft) you could plead ignorance if it was ever picked up.

It probably wouldn’t be picked up in the event of a claim unless the insurance company has a compelling reason to do a full investigation, which becomes more likely the higher the value of the claim, leaving you on the hook when you definitely want them to pay out.

A crash with say a Bugatti Veyron (or many other expensive cars or infrastructure) could easily leave you bankrupt so best not to give your insurance company any excuse to deny the claim.
It’s a serious matter then. So as long as the insurance company is aware of the modifications, then would p plate status be irrespective?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've had a few claims over the years and the only thing they checked was the condition of the tyres, which they also took photos of. They will knock back a claim if you have worn tyres if any part of the tyre is worn past the markers.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It’s a serious matter then. So as long as the insurance company is aware of the modifications, then would p plate status be irrespective?
If it’s an illegal modification for a P plater then it will be classified as an illegal modification for insurance purposes if a P plater is driving the vehicle , so not covered by insurance.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
If it’s an illegal modification for a P plater then it will be classified as an illegal modification for insurance purposes if a P plater is driving the vehicle , so not covered by insurance.
OK. Would it change anything if the car is put in parents name and p- plater drives the car?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As I posted previously in the other thread, had the same accident as you. Was insured with RAC. I couldn’t even buy a flogged out heap of poo Crewman with what they said the value was.

It was a long and drawn out fight to get it repaired. I did get it repaired but had to complete a fair bit of the work myself to get the major part done and keep the car.

Even RAC suggested Shannon’s as they no longer wanted to insure Holdens and deemed them more of a collectors car now. I appreciated their honesty.

I talked with the repairer about it too. They like RAC work because an assessor would actually come and see the cars and talk through repairs. Other insurers do not. It’s all photos and emails.

He said the other insurer they liked to work with was Shannon’s.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
OK. Would it change anything if the car is put in parents name and p- plater drives the car?
If it’s illegal for you to drive the car in the first place then you’re not covered to drive it.

Dunno about other states but here in QLD there’s an exemption process you can go through to drive a non P plate approved vehicle. Basically goes along the lines of “little Johnny only has this car available to drive as it’s the family vehicle” (I’m paraphrasing of course).

That can put you in any vehicle provided your parents or legal guardian would sign off on it. Doesn’t affect the insurance company though as it’s up to them if they want to accept the risk of a P plater driving a non P plate approved vehicle.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Doesn't matter the status of the drivers licence....An illegal modification is cause for an insurance company to knock back a claim.....It goes back to the unroadworthy car portion of my previous comment

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it’s illegal for you to drive the car in the first place then you’re not covered to drive it.

Dunno about other states but here in QLD there’s an exemption process you can go through to drive a non P plate approved vehicle. Basically goes along the lines of “little Johnny only has this car available to drive as it’s the family vehicle” (I’m paraphrasing of course).

That can put you in any vehicle provided your parents or legal guardian would sign off on it. Doesn’t affect the insurance company though as it’s up to them if they want to accept the risk of a P plater driving a non P plate approved vehicle.

Illegal modifications to a car deem it unroadworthy...So doesn't matter if the driver is a learner or a driver with an unblemished record for 50 years....Unroadworthy means a cause to knock back a claim....

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Illegal modifications to a car deem it unroadworthy...So doesn't matter if the driver is a learner or a driver with an unblemished record for 50 years....Unroadworthy means a cause to knock back a claim....
Unroadworthy due to no mod plate right?