Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by 426Cuda, May 28, 2015.

1. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    Has anyone replaced the tyres on their VF Redline? I'm going to replace mine this weekend. I am tossing up between latest RE050 Potenza's (basically the same as factory but a minor increase in speed rating apparently and Conti's (same as Gen F HSV's I assume?) Conti's are on special (4 for the price of 3) i.e about $1250 for four. Bridgestone's will set me back about $1480. Has anyone tried the Conti's and can advise how they compare to the Bridgestone RE050's which I like? I will buy the Conti's if they handle (wet and dry), wear (longevity) and have similar noise characteristics (or better) than the Bridgy's. The Conti's are on sale until the end of May.

I would appreciate any comments on Bridgestone Vs Continental (or Redline tyres vs HSV tyres ;-)

Cheers

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. Flukey

Flukey New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    My rears have just about gone and will need changing soon.
    How many km's have you done on yours?

3. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    ... I went from Potenza RE050s on my old SSV wagon to Conti's on the R8 Tourer

chalk and cheeses those 2... the Continentals are a 200% better tyre
    better grip hot or cold quieter better steering feedback but they will have a shorter
    life (mainly coz I do use the 340kw available to me in the R8 :) )

4. VF Redline

VF Redline Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
  5. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    35K worn very evenly front and rear. Fronts probably have another 5,000 left in them, but why wait.

6. Flukey

Flukey New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    I am at 30k now and the rears will slip on a dry road. It won't be long for me either.

7. ozdrexler

ozdrexler Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    I got 32k before I replaced mine. went with the RE050s again. Now done 15k on this set and I suspect they wont see 25k of use. :( Which sucks. Prolly got old stock put on.

8. dantheman

dantheman New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V Redline
    I'd be keen to try these next time, for $1254 in the staggered fitment

ecsta ps91 | eBay

delivery extra

9. R1bloke

R1bloke Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 VF SSV Redline Ute
    I used tyresales.com for a set of tyres for my old vy ute. Chose a different brand than what I had on. Bought the same size but the different profile ment they rubbed as soon as I started driving. Changed them back straight away and called tyresales. They would not do anything because I had driven on them. Did less than a km to go round the block.

My advice is do not buy a different tyre than you are already using from them unless you know for sure you won't have any problems with width and rubbing. If you are buying the same tyres then they should be ok but might be old stock.you won't know till they get delivered. And the delivery was over a week after they quoted 2 days.

Overall. Not impressed with them.

10. christov

christov RFFN RFFR

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
    The continentals are a very grippy tyre, however my cousin only got 17,000ks out of his rears, the fronts lasted 23ks (VF Clubby). My brother has the contis on his E3 Clubby and the rears lasted 25k but are a different tyre to the VF model.

I'd stick to the Bridgestone's, I've currently clocked 35,000k's and my tyres (all of them) are still probly 5-6mm off the tread markers. They grip well and last long, I definitely wouldn't change to the contis, the tread is just way too soft.

11. Ponza

Ponza Member

Members Ride:
    Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
    I'm nearly up for new tyres and my tyre shop has suggested I have a look at Kumho PS91. I've read a few reviews and they seem good from what has been written, I don't know about life but.

12. SnowDoggyDogg

SnowDoggyDogg 2ltr? = Only milk & juice

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS
    Had Bridgie OEM's last 23k kms on the rears and went to Falken 453's. Those only lasted 8k kms so it's back to Bridgie's all around.

13. revster

revster Active Member

Members Ride:
    30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
    I run Goodyear F1 Asymmetric. Yet to find a better tyre but never tried Contis

14. Vedran

Vedran New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    I changed over from the RE050A to the Continental CSC5P on my Redline and they've done 9,000km with around 75-80% tread remaining expecting to get 35,000km out of them (staggered so can't rotate them), I've found it to be a better tyre than the RE050A, biggest difference is noise and wet grip. The 4for3 promo is on until the end of June so no rush.

15. Skydrol

Skydrol Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    If you can get this one, go with Michelin Pilot Super Sport talk about a sticky tire (wet and dry), quiet as heck. The only drawbacks are, wears out a bit faster than any other and pricey, but they are so addictive. My VE (G8) suspension seems to like the tire; nice improvement in handling without any mechanical changes/mods.

[​IMG]

16. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    Thanks for all the comments Blokes. Hmmm...
    Christov make some good points about the Bridgy's, but then I would have to buy 4 and pay around $300 more than the Conti's (4 for 3 deal). As long as I get say 26,000 out of the Conti's I'm doing ok. I think that should be achievable, my tyres seem to last as I am balanced in the way I drive, e.g. not pushing to the point of understeer which ruins the outer edge of the fronts. I get them Ex GST too so not a lot of money at risk here. I love the Bridgy's. Great tyre. I reckon if I drove with a little less right foot off the mark and around some bends the rears may have lasted as long as the front's to say 42-45,000k's. They handle well, brake well and wear well. A+. But as the Conti's CS5P's come out on the VF HSV's I reckon I'll give them a go, a little grippier and a bit quieter for the sake of longevity may be a worthwhile tradeoff?

17. christov

christov RFFN RFFR

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
    Different strokes, either tyre will be good. You could always just buy 3 new tyres then fit your full size spare to one of the fronts if you go with Bridgestone.

rpat3170 likes this.
  18. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    Yep thought about that too. But I'd still be paying about the same as the 4 Conti's are costing me. I'll post my initial thoughts on the Conti's although I'm comparing them to the Bridgy's which now break traction at about 1/3 throttle.

19. Thetabop

Thetabop New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf calais v
    When my stock Bridgestone tires wear out on my CalaisV I'm gonna put Michelin pilot super sports on.

20. gd81

gd81 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SII Sv6 Manual
    I'm Running DUNLOP SP SPORTMAXX RT, find them to be quieter and better grip in wed and dry compared to the OEM, have Approx 15K on them, and there is still 70%+ Tread on the rears.
    I feel they'll last slightly longer than OEM, bonus considering they were cheaper than the Bridgies.