Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uncomfortable seats in my 2014 Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Utility
I wish I had read this before buying a 2017 Calais V. What I found was that the seats between the bolsters are about 3cm narrower than the VZ thus pushing your legs inwards. I tried HSV seats but they were also narrow and I’m not a particularly large person. So lovely car but sold it and bought another VZ, got all new SS sponges, all new leather and installed them. Just working on the heated seats.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Vf seats are hard as a rock and uncomfortable,i had to buy a later model seat base foam and cover to make my 2013 vf ssv wagon even bearable,the s1 had high bolsters on the seat base which made my leg numb and from what ive read also alot of complaints from customers so holden changed the bolsteres to a smaller type in the s2 which are better.The seats look awesome but thats as far as that goes,also took me months to find the right adjusment that felt right.
Afaik the calais seats have identical foams and covers.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The VF cars have Sportec seats designed to hold you in place and comfortably, additional to forming part of the effective restraint system. There are many cars on the roads that have these "winged" form-hugging seats, and complaints are very few among them. On the VZ, I felt the seats were unfriendly right from the start. I had thick sheepies put on, but that didn't stop me from rolling around like a baby on the bends and the only support was somewhat limited lumbar adjustment, while the VF has forward/back, up/down adjustment that is excellent for moderating any pressure on the thighs. I am not a big person by any stretch, but the VF Sportec seats very much 'cradle' my form without cramping me, nd they were immediately appealing on the test drive at freeway speeds over 2 hours. I don't find the seats hard, at least not relative to the VZ (I am 'jockey weight', certainly nothing big and impressive physically), and certainly nowhere near the rock hard firmness common to VW cars and SUVs of whom owners frequently speak of sore thighs and aching backs.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just had trouble signing back in so just made new profile.

I just wanted to come back on & say thanks for the feedback. I did try the lowering the seat all the way down and lifting the front up before adjusting the back and it did help - so thanks for that advice dgp. I do feel more in control of the vehicle & I think much of it is getting used to the responsiveness and not sliding around unexpectedly etc. I still have my VZ and have to admit jumping back into it is like putting on an old jumper.... a bit worn and less desirable but its familiar and comfy :)

Anyway, i'm sure in a few more months I'll be fully used to it - thanks again!

Jeff.

P.s. Great forum btw

i found the steering and brakes to be the biggest differences with old and new jumping back and forth.

the VF seats are definitely firmer but i believe this was done intentionally. My old car (VXII Clubsport) had the cloth sports seats and they were just softer, bolsters much of a muchness. The Redline seats are firm not hard.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Vf seats are hard as a rock and uncomfortable
i miss my VE S1 SSV seats, the VF2 definitely isnt as comfortable.
And i always feel like its pushing me sideways to sit ON the bolster, not sure if its the shape or narrowness or the centre tunnel that pushes me over there.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
i miss my VE S1 SSV seats, the VF2 definitely isnt as comfortable.
And i always feel like its pushing me sideways to sit ON the bolster, not sure if its the shape or narrowness or the centre tunnel that pushes me over there.
I have the same issue,the centre console stops you from sitting on the centre of the seat,your left leg will always hit the console before you are centred in the seat and you end up on the right bolster.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i always put thick sheepskin covers on and it makes them better.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
i always put thick sheepskin covers on and it makes them better.

Sheepies definitely made up for the discomfort of the seats in the old VZ (and the rather bland checkerboard pattern). But as supremely comfy and welcoming as they were, they did not offer any of the upper or lower side boulsters of the VF Sportec seats, and were also repeatedly spoken of as potentially interfering with side-impact airbags built into the seats, though the sheepies has "special stitching" to allow the airbags to deploy through them.

The student who bought the VZ from the Holden dealer after my trade-in is still using the plush black sheepies!

GerryM75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive Sedan/VF11 Calais V Wagon
i found the steering and brakes to be the biggest differences with old and new jumping back and forth.

the VF seats are definitely firmer but i believe this was done intentionally. My old car (VXII Clubsport) had the cloth sports seats and they were just softer, bolsters much of a muchness. The Redline seats are firm not hard.
I used to find my VF seats hard and a bit uncomfortable, especially when jumping back in the VY Exec which has wide arsed seats which are comfy, but I now realise that the VF ones are so much better. On long drives in the VY I used to get a sore back as they allowed me to slouch in the seat whereas the VF seats keep you upright and sitting straight to maintain a good posture. They're also much better when you push it through a corner at holding you in the seat :)