Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uniacidz Ride VX SS Monaro Themed

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Done it finally - LEDs in the Cup Holder

After initial trial and error, found a easy solution.

In the top picture, you can see what the LEDs look like normally and with a blue filter around it. I installed the one with the blue filter with double sided tape on the underside of the pop out cup holder thingy so shines downwards.
If the LEDs are facing from any side, it lights up the cabin. I didnt want that, just wanted a soft glow and looks great with water bottle in it, lights it up like a soft fountain lol.

Pictures dont do it justice. Nor does my dirty cup holder but alas thats clean now.

My red LED window switches been replaced with a standard one for now til i fixed up the rear windows window lock switch. Stupid bloody design.
Also Power and Traction control button lights are ready to go in, and thats a stupid design as well and that will happen within a few weeks.

1. I used a strip eventually cut down to 6 LEDs soldered into the auto transmission Illunination light (when you turn on the headlights, the light on the gear selector)
2. Dremelled a hole to put wire through from cup holder base to link up with the transmission globe wiring.
3. Swore alot, threading wire through hole to get to the transmission globe was fun. In the end easy
4. Wired it up all and soldered. Left plenty of wire for when or if i take apart centre console, cut the wire and eventually put on a wiring plug for it
5. Attached LEDs to underside with double sided tape to cup holder.

led2.jpg

led1.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wow what a night

Holden do make it difficult to change the traction and power switch globes dont they. Unbelieveable how bloody ridiculous it is just to change the globes. Unless someone has a better way, sheeesh.

1. Removed gear selector shroud and kick panels
2. Removed centre console
3. Change bulbs with ones i made up from Jaycar for the Traction and Power button on the gear selector. Think Holden charge $6 i heard per bulb, got 3 bulbs from Jaycar for $3, fitted them into the bulb holders easily enough and put green or red plastic covering on it to change the colour
4. Installed switches into new gear selector plate
5. Removed centre console lighting from a Calais centre console and placed into mine (different colours) and tapped into the power window switch wiring
6. Tested everything and presto
7. installed gear selector plate and shaft and pin (bloody annoying yet easy, get some duct tape to hold down the gear selector button, other ppl say you need a 2nd person to help)
8. installed centre console
9. redid the cup holder lights as damaged the originals
10. retested everything
11. Installed LED power windows switches (child lock was damaged, decided to disassemble the original one i had and used the parts to fix the LED one)
12. Realised my car been running on power too long and battery died
13. refitted spare battery, started car, placed original battery back in and let it idle for a while
14. realised drivers centre console kick plate got damaged, oh well, off to the wreckers one day to replace.
15. Removed dash fascia, removed Hazard light switch and installed one i prepared earlier with a new globe, pretty red.
16. refitted all dash fascia screws.
17. Tested everything
18. Reset all settings on stereo since had to change battery before and reprogram all stations etc
19. Took for a test drive, love it
20. Absolutely happy with results.

Im tired.

led4.jpg

led5.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just been bout the LEDs of late

Heres what i did to the interior lamp

led7.jpg

led6.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's all coming along nicely mate..
How long did it take to install the cup holder light?

Slowly coming along
Cup holder light is very quick to do. Just tap into the gear selector illumination light and the wire through to the cup holder. Make small hole, thread wire through and connect.

I still have to rig up plugs for it to easy connection etc, but otherwise its quick. Longest part was the threading of the wire. Prob took bout a 20mins hour of the 45mins all up for whole job including cleaning up.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As per Park Like an Idiot thread, i put up some quick things to put on ppls windshields
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought i make up some business cards/paper to stick on windshields.

Was only a quick job.
Was done in MS Publisher so if you want that as well, PM me

parkingimage.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Door Rattles

**** me they pissed me off. Kinda embaressing when your mum gets in the car and says 'oh your door is rattling'

Anyway, used some electrical tape on the strikers and fixed up noises by 90%
Since that was successful, pulled of 3 out of 4 strikers from a decent car at the wreckers and will be installing sometime when i have sufficient light in my garage.
Also picked up a heater box demister actuator. All up including the strikers, $10 Pretty happy bout that.

Car has been to holden, just like ford, acted like i knew **** and quoted me about $2676 to change the heater box cos 'the heater box is mangled and is stuck together with wires etc)
Wow, didnt think they could assess all that **** in under a hour.

And also they said they cant calibrate VX SS dash clusters with tech 2, only VY onwards. rightttt

Anyways, also got some VHT SP946 vinyl dye for the dash surround and door vents. Already have some primer and clear coat, just gotta paint now.

Also have a black Calais centre console without the light and gear surround going up for sale sometime soon. PM if interested.

wreckers1.jpg

wreckers2.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I take it back, the heater box IS broken, round the actuator section near drivers footwell.

There is holes in it, internal flap arm broken etc

Dammit, means heaterbox removal. Bloody hell. What on earth did the previous owner to to it.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Installed a fire extinguisher on raise mounts and also painted spare dash fascia, centre console back piece and gear selector shroud

Pic is a bit boring

dce90f0e-f30f-ec3a.jpg

Last edited: