Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Up Hill acceleration

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
Hey guys
I've got an 89 berlina (Which is currently not mine, at the moment, its my aunties, But i took it for a drive on the weekend) and i found that when i accelerated up a hill there was a very strange vibration, which sounded like it may have come from either the transmission or the diff.
My aunty then told me to shift the gear selector down to the D without the box around it, and the vibration went.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? The car does have a LSD if thats any help.

Cheers guys

Regards
Ryan

Last edited:

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
sounds like your aunties gearbox does have issues for sure, if you shift it down to the d without the square, that removes the electronic 4th gear, effectifly you lose the mechanical lock upwith the torque conveter to the motor, check oil champ, make sur eit's full, alway's do the easy stuff first

Ultima RB

Reaction score
Website
www.completelybiased.com
Have a look at the universal joints on the driveshaft. Give it a shake and see if there's any movement. These can cause vibrations but when they're wearing out you'll hear a clunking noise.

R

ralph

yeah i have a similar problem except its on the flat that it happens and the shuddering appears in "D" but when overdrive is engaged it disappears...I have just had the transmission over hauled and it was doing the same thing before

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
these vn gearboxes have got a lock up soleniod in them, if that solenoid is playing up it will cause the car to give a shudering affect, effectivly all it's doin is jumping in and out of 4th gear at a rapid pace, when they do a gearbag service one thing ive notice is they say it's all good by looking at the condition of the oil, i.e. if it's burnt, or has little metal filings in it, as for the test drive, all they do is drive it from the hoist to the parking lot, so there is the test, and i dont know any auto place which will replace the torque conveter, they simply replace the conveter, a good place will fit a re-co'd conveter.

auto's are a hard peice of equipment to understand, but it basicaly revolves around oil pressure, without the right pressure your box will pay silly buggers, it causes little pins to move when they shouldnt, and it will effectivly ruin your gearbox, just check oil first, after that, give us a yell, and ill tell ya how to test your tourqe converter soloid, aka lock up solnoid or if you wanna get tech, lock up clutch sensor

cheers
garth

jdd

Reaction score
ralph said:
yeah i have a similar problem except its on the flat that it happens and the shuddering appears in "D" but when overdrive is engaged it disappears...I have just had the transmission over hauled and it was doing the same thing before
Take it back to the place who overhauled the transmission, this problem is caused by the torque converter.
Most tranny places don’t repair torque converters themselves; they just fit changeover units.
If your torque converter was replaced when the tranny was overhauled, then it should have a warranty.
Most reputable transmission places will normally replace the torque converter (with a reco unit) when doing a tranny overhaul.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
i was talking to my aunty yesterday and she said that they had replaced the torque converter when they got the car a year ago, and the oil would be topped up coz my uncle does his own services regularly.

jdd

Reaction score
the vk man said:
i was talking to my aunty yesterday and she said that they had replaced the torque converter when they got the car a year ago, and the oil would be topped up coz my uncle does his own services regularly.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to your post, I was referring to the one made by Ralf.
Even though the symptoms are similar, the symptoms described by Ralf are very clear and are almost "text-book" in nature.

Regarding you aunt's car, the symptoms are not as clear cut but I would recommend you to get the centre tail-shaft bearing checked by somebody who knows how to check them. This will produce the same symptoms you describe but I wouldn’t expect it to change from blue D to white D although anything is possible I guess.

T

twelveys

Vibration

I have the same problem - VP Series 2. Vibe goes away when I pull it back into Drive from D2 - Seems like when I accelerate harder or put more "load" through the drive shaft/diff the vibe stops. Does this indicate uni joints/Centre bearing?

Thanks for your help.