Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Update on my Oil Consumption Problem-Very Interesting

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Spend money on service.. Keeps the warranty gremlins happy.. That way your chances of gettin a new motor are much better.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
hi guys my 2010 International is going thru the oil consumption test. Test 2 just completed and it burnt 2.25 litres in 3000 km the same for the first. Now they tell me it is coming up for service and i need to get it done!!!! i said hey you guys are putting oil in this thing at an incredible rate (around 5 litres every 6000 klm) surely this constitutes a service???? why would i spend money on a motor that could be pulled out at any moment?????

any advice would be appreciated.......

Keep in mind that I just got a new engine fitted but they still want me to continue with normal servicing which means I'll be up for my 30,000 service in July even though the new engine would have only 3000 km's on it. Just get it done to stay safe!

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
hi guys my 2010 International is going thru the oil consumption test. Test 2 just completed and it burnt 2.25 litres in 3000 km the same for the first. Now they tell me it is coming up for service and i need to get it done!!!! i said hey you guys are putting oil in this thing at an incredible rate (around 5 litres every 6000 klm) surely this constitutes a service???? why would i spend money on a motor that could be pulled out at any moment?????

any advice would be appreciated.......

1. A scheduled service is more than just changing the oil and oil filter.

2. Whether or not the engine is using excessive oil, the oil and oil filter still need to be changed frequently for proper engine lubrication.

3. Having scheduled services carried out is a condition of maintaining your new car warranty. If you bothered to read the terms of the new car warranty you would know that.

4. If a potential engine replacement under new car warranty is likely for your car I would not be penny pinching over an oil and oil filter change as part of a scheduled service.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
out of curiosity, how are you testing for oil consumed?

You go to Holden and they do it, I think they measure the dipstick before they top it up, and again after, I think they measure/work out consumption rate by the mm's measured on diptick.

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
out of curiosity, how are you testing for oil consumed?

For me they check the dipstick and then measure how much oil they add till it hits the full mark on the stick. From this they can get a reasonably accurate oil level.

That's also why you still need to do the service as they don't change the filter and it "The engine" also has 3.5ltrs of old oil in it.

Last edited:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
That's also why you still need to do the service as they don't change the filter and it also has 3.5ltrs of old oil in it.

the filter has 3.5L of oil in it............ i dont think so

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
For me they check the dipstick and then measure how much oil they add till it hits the full mark on the stick. From this they can get a reasonably accurate oil level.

That's also why you still need to do the service as they don't change the filter and it also has 3.5ltrs of old oil in it.

Should have made it clearer the engine still had 3.5ltrs of old oil, after they do the oil consumption test. As they don't drain the oil they only top it up.