Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgraded cams for 175 alloytec

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
firstly, mucking around with vcm suite is not going to change the timing of the cams, because theyre done with timing chains..... and it's not going to change the profile of the cam lobes either... so that's rubbish...

And secondly, you can't run a "heavily modified VE SV6 tune on your 175kw auto vz exec"... so whoever told you that just ripped you off... There are different components on an SV6 in the inlet manifold, and i beleive there are subtle cam and throttle control differences in the PCM that can't just be "transferred over". They also have a different gearbox to yours.

If the OP wants to try cams out, by all means go for it. :) it would be great for the community to get some feedback on what could very well be the most effective means of powering up an alloytec :)

Cam timing can be adjusted 50 degrees advance or retard by the computer. Its not hard to engineer.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
If you are determined to change the cams. Why not put some 190 inlet cams in? They have slightly more lobe height than the 175 (6.2 vs 6.5mm). Or experiment with some VE cams. If they are different again.

Last edited:

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
How about this. If you want more power......... go buy a FG XR6 Turbo!

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Actually I have a question.

I have switched between every tune possible under this alloytech ecu playform for my car. If the cams dont change like you say why does my exhaust note massively change at every interval throughout the rev range depending on the tune i'm running for a particular car? eg. tigher cams sound more like a turbo rex as opposed to the sad sound of the 175kw tune which is more like a dud cough potato peice of *****

Answer me that. the VE SV6 is the best sounding, the most variable in terms of refined power from start to finish. It's just a bugger to workout VE, Airload as the intake manifold and TB on a VE is different etc.....

Like seriously........ Play with some tunes and see what you find...... Chuck on a 225kw 2007 Cadillac Direct Injection tune onto the 175kw alloytech, convert everything properly and go jump into WOT at 100km/h on the highway and then tell me u dont notice a massive difference.

PS. You must have the mods to backup being able to deal with such a task. Higher ratio diff, pacers, cats etc.....

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Best modifications to the alloytech:

1. Diff
2. Pacers/CatBack
3. 2 Hole Mod (preferabe, SS Inductions if you get a professional tune)
4. Manifold spacers
5. Tune via Professional
6. Tune it yourself
7. Supercharged
8. NEW CAR - SIDI, SS, HSV or XRT6 Turbo

I've spent way too much $$$ doing trial and error. From my 3 years of having an exec, thats the order I would put them in.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
alloytec.. BDW, Alloytec.. if you have done soo much work on them, the least you could do is get the basic **** right

What like sucking at a quarter mile on a stock diff? Basic **** lol.

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6

Real Mature...

The Alloytecs are very difficult to get going, this we all agree on to an extent.
They are also very difficult to tune and play with. (and i'm finding out for myself, I still don't beleive it's possible to just "transfer a tune over from a VE", but i CBS aruing with you).

And the OP just asked about cams, so if he wants to, i think it'd be great for him to try it out (unfortunately at his expense), and let us know how he goes. If PerformanceManifolds can get such a huge gain with cams, there must be some gains to be had for those of us that have tried everything else

red_rocket05

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS COMMODORE UTE
because im a holden man. Also the stupid **** i have done in my car but have always pulled out of without a scratch means i cant just get rid of him. I have lived in my car, holidayed in it, rooted in it. So selling it just isnt an option

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec

you really are one of the biggest knobs on this forum.. out of curiosity, what time have you got with your 'fully worked' VZ? Did ur painted covers and super dooper air intake get you massive gain somewhere in the rev range?