Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crank Shaft Pulley - Death Rattle

frankfava

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore S
Hi all,

For a while now, my V6 VR has been running rough and shaking the engine in low revs, sounding and running like the timing is off. Code 56 "Lean under Load" keeps on being logged too.

Whilst driving, a loud noise came from the engine and chunks of rubber were coming off the crank pulley. Now the shaking is worse.

Are these things related. If the crankshaft pulley was already starting to go, does that explain why it's been rough, timing has been off and the code is being logged?

I found this thread and it helped me alot. I know I can drive it now, but still need it fixed.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...e-1993-1997/190281-v6-crank-shaft-pulley.html

Where can I get a 3 Jaw puller that fits into the holes or a proper balancer puller? Do I need a new crank pulley but can use the same balancer (as long as I don't wreck it)?

Hope you can help thanks Frank

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Harmonic Balancer dude.

You need a harmonic balancer puller (supercheap) and you'll need a new one as the rubber deteriorates over time and falls apart.

Can be causing the issues as the Crank Angle Sensor reads from the balancer.

While your changing it you should change the CAS at the same time as it lives under it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Really bad vibrations from a broken balancer may be setting off the knock sensors and therefore retarding the timing.

As for the lean O2 sensor, that may be due to a cracked exhaust manifold, or it not sealing to the head or y piece correctly.

It may also be due to a vacuum leak or a damaged oxy sensor among other things. But those are the most likely causes.

The dfi module may also be the culprit.

frankfava

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore S
Cheers fellas.

So pull it off with the pull and put a new one on and that should fix the timing and the vibrations. Sweet.

Mostly probably the Y Exhaust Piece as I replaced it recently.

Do I need to do any special to install the new balancer like special tools to get it on or just tighten the bolt, or need to place it at the same angle as removed?

What about the torque of the bolt? Do I need a Torque wrench to do so?

Cheers