Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Daily - Electrical Problems???

Nevin

Seedy Customs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
Hi Guys,

Been having some trouble with the daily over the last week. Have tried fixing it but can't seam to work out what the problem is.
It's a VY Spack (V6 Ecotech) that has done around 130000k's.

So the missus was driving it and apparently the motor just cut out... i went down there and it started straight away without any tinkering. But only lasted about 15sec and cut out again. So i helped get the kids home then had to get back to work.
Went down that afternoon with spare coilpacks (had been replaced in another car) hoping it would be enough to get the car home. It was.
Went to the shop, got new coilpacks, put them and and the car wont start. It tries to turn over but just wont. It's not like the battery is flat or it is out of fuel. The fuel pump sounds like its still working and my thinking is that if it was a fuel problem it would have spluttered before cutting out. Anyhow, last night i replaced the spark plugs to no result.

I was just wondering if anyone may know what is wrong.
My next line of thought is to replace the sensor plate under the coilpacks?? I thought it may also be that the alternator has **** itself or that the crank angle sensor needs replacing.

Any feed back is appreciated guys.
Cheers,
Nevin

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Hey nevin
Your best bet is to take it to someone who knows what the doing. You can keep guessing and throwing parts at it and Hey you may get it right after replacing everything but if you don't know what your doing, what to look for, or have the right gear to check things your just wasting your time. I could give you a long winded list of what to check and do but I think you will be out of your depth especially not having scan tool or scope.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I'd say the crank angle sensor but bust to get the codes checked and done the 1st time to save you money

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
We have a thread on a really common Eco problem somewhere, with the symptoms you describe, have had it myself. The high tension lead from the back of the alternator is in a stupid tight spot where it can rub through and expose wires against the manifold creating an intermittent short. Unusually in most cases the main fuse wont pop. You only need to rip the engine cover off to inspect, it'll be obvious. Something to check and assess if you can resolve it before you throw cash at a pro or replace sensors randomly.

Nevin

Seedy Customs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
Thanks Fellas,
I think your right, i will try to get it to someone asap. Just dont feel like wasting any more dollars.
I've already checked all wires and fuses and stuff like that so it must be something else.
Thanks again,
Dan

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
Try out the plug connecting to the coilpacks (i think the dfi module) , undo the bolt and pull it out then with a small screwdriver push the pins closer together so that they grab the others on the coil tighter.
had the exact same problem and racv said it was very common and holden says to just push the pins together unless you take it to them and they charge an arm and a leg

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Thanks Fellas,
I think your right, i will try to get it to someone asap. Just dont feel like wasting any more dollars.
I've already checked all wires and fuses and stuff like that so it must be something else.
Thanks again,
Dan

Dan, that is the smartest thing i have read on here in ages.

Nevin

Seedy Customs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
So looks like it was the crank angle sensor. Go it looked at finally yesterday and hopefully have it back by today. :)