Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 to V6 Engine Swap

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
So my neighbor asked me to swap an engine for him. He has a whole wrecked donor car and wants me to put it's good engine into his Ute.

Long story short, the engines were different but he had me swap them anyway. One engine has a aluminum intake mafold and the other a plastic manifold. So I swapped everything. Engine harness, all accessories, fuel system, ECU , Air Intake, Exhaust everything.

Now the car says "Security System" and will not crank. I swapped over the PCM, Instrument Cluster and Steering Column in an attempt to make it start. Same result.

Questions... #1 .Is there a ECU service I can mail the computer to to "unlock" it? My current plan is to put the original PCM back into the car (as its programmed to the car and not the Ute).

#2 Are there any good swap threads? THe only stuff I could find on You Tube University was V8 conversions.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
a few of the modules are serialized by vin and they will not work unless the vin in each module matches this includes the instrument cluster so you will need to get all the donor modules you installed programmed with the correct vin not just the ecu.

i would be looking into the actual variant of the engines to see if there is any significant changes apart from the intake manifold or other bolt on parts, if the specs are the same between the two i would try and run it on the original vehicles electronics/modules.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
What are the model of cars ?
What are the engines, original and replacement,
And the model variants ?
As some engines have more or less components.

Keeping in mind the ignition key can have a lot to do with “Security System” causing it to not crank/start.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
you can ask vy-vz owners groups i know they can flash the ecu from the different model alloytecs

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This is in the VF section. From what I know all VF will have plastic intake plenum.

Make sure all the modules have been flashed with the same VIN.

If this is in an older model VZ or S1 VE it’s not going to be a fun ride with the direct injection and vacuum pumps on direct injection motors and how they work in with the different ECM. Alloy intake plenum is on non direct injection.

Every single module in the car needs to be flashed with the same VIN otherwise it’s a no start.

From the headunit, fascia, key reader, key, trans, the list goes on. Essentially everything on the CANbus needs to match.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
This is in the VF section. From what I know all VF will have plastic intake plenum.

Make sure all the modules have been flashed with the same VIN.

If this is in an older model VZ or S1 VE it’s not going to be a fun ride with the direct injection and vacuum pumps on direct injection motors and how they work in with the different ECM. Alloy intake plenum is on non direct injection.

Every single module in the car needs to be flashed with the same VIN otherwise it’s a no start.

From the headunit, fascia, key reader, key, trans, the list goes on. Essentially everything on the CANbus needs to match.
THanks for that information!! Cheers!