Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Supercars, Thoughts on Reverse grid?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
What are peoples thoughts on reverse grid races?

For me, i think it is unfair, i don't see how it benefits the racing or anything else.
Sure it gives nuff nuff's the chance to win something, but for the quicker guys all it does is bottle them up in traffic and can possibly end what was or going to be a good race weekend. Perfect example was skaife almost being taken out by Riccardello(spelling unknown). I think it should be scrapped, the first and 3rd races were great, let down by the middle race at barbagello.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I'm in two halves over it, stack wise normally the reverse grid races bring some awesome stacks as the fast guys get stuck / tangled with the slower one's although this time round the reverse grid race was very clean.

Then on the other side why should the front runners be disadvantaged by slower vehicles.

If they are going to do it why not make it on a track where there are plenty of passing opportunities, none spring to mind at this stage though.

I really feel for Skaife, he missed out by a whole 4 points on taking out the round win which would have then put him ahead of Brockie, he seems to have got his act together this year, I know it's only early days still but what he has demonstrated so far he just might be a contender come Phillip Island.

I really hope I didn't just jinx him.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
On a good passing track there is no problem with reverse grid racing, although one problem comes to mind, The fact that there is much more parity than there was say 2-3 years ago and all the cars are basicaly identical in spec and speed so it makes it a nightmare for the better drivers to get to the front from the back and also 57 laps is not long enough to get to the front from the back IMO

B

brendan24688

I love RGR's. They add so much more to the weekend rather then just the same bloke winning, it adds a little competition.

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
i think its really good to watch the front runners try and get back to the front. really shows off their driving skills IMO.
but i feel for them cause they earned their positions in the front. they should stay in the position they earned.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Id rather see the reverse grids as it does show off the drivers skills. Almost anyone can do a fast lap in the clear. It takes skill to do it in traffic.
Both Richards & Kelly showed that a fast car from the rear can make it up to the pointy end. Skaifey's set up was obviously off or he could have made a decent charge too.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
The only thing I dont get with RGR is if AVESCO/TEGA have spent the last 5 years making the cars similar to each other for better racing (up to the individual on if it's worked) and to keep the sport more affordable for the smaller teams. But when you see some of the big incidents that have occurred due to RGR's you tend to think how is this going to reduce overall costs for teams.

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
The RGRs are great in some aspects because AVESCO makes most of its money in sponsorship deals which in turn rely on TV coverage. TV viewers want action and tight racing and news coverage of the big crashes only splashes the sponsors on the screens again and again.

Remember the times not all that long ago where Micheal Schumacher/Ferrari would get poll and then lead the race all the way and the rest of the filed would pretty much follow the same order all race .......... BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just the fact that this discussion is happening is proof that RGR works in generating interest.

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
vztrt said:
The only thing I dont get with RGR is if AVESCO/TEGA have spent the last 5 years making the cars similar to each other for better racing (up to the individual on if it's worked) and to keep the sport more affordable for the smaller teams. But when you see some of the big incidents that have occurred due to RGR's you tend to think how is this going to reduce overall costs for teams.

This isn't about reducing costs for the teams ........... it's about making the racing more exciting for the fans, especially the TV viewers. The crashes are part of that.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I disagree with the excitement theory, the first 2 races had the leaders just 1-2 seconds apart, the middle screwed up the battle.