Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Supercars

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Not a thread dig ............ an exhumation of a nearly dead corpse..............

https://www.whichcar.com.au/opinion/supercars-at-crossroads

I have been a Bathurst fan since the XT GTs, and lost interest during late '80s due to squabbling about non-factory bits on some imported cars, then regained interest again when the 5.0 litre V8s were the next big thing.
This year, attended the Newcastle races .......... then about nothing until now, having been more interested in the NRL, (that is, whether the Knights could win the spoon or the Grand Final) and the Big Race completely slipped my mind until a few days ago.

Why ? My thoughts are summed up by the above, GM vs Ford (neither of which are relevant any more) no local cars, too much artificial fiddling regarding rules, robotic drivers compared to Moffat, Brock, Johnson, Lowndes and many others of the old era. :(

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I haven't missed a Bathurst (on TV) in many, many years however this year may be one.

Don't have a great deal of interest in the racing these days. It is only really the track that may draw me in.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The last few years we've had it on the TV but come and go, maybe watch the start/1st hour and then the last hour and if we hear anything interesting. It hasn't been on free to air TV for many years but fortunately my son had access to Sky as I wouldn't bother paying for it. This year I believe it will be on free to air TV.

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I enjoyed watching the sports sedans....Wild fast machines they were...Quicker than a V8 supertaxi too...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I enjoyed watching the sports sedans....Wild fast machines they were...Quicker than a V8 supertaxi too...
Only saw the last few laps of them. Looked interesting with the 'different' cars.
I don't mind the lower ranked, superseded V8supercars, but the utes, 86s and Porsches ............. Zzzzz time.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Only saw the last few laps of them. Looked interesting with the 'different' cars.
I don't mind the lower ranked, superseded V8supercars, but the utes, 86s and Porsches ............. Zzzzz time.

Couldn't agree more with you over the utes/Porsches/86's.....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Yeah, the Super 2 had some close racing for a while.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Couldn't be bothered watching the boring supercars, don't really need a nap on the couch...

Found some old pics of motorsport from the early 60's.

Dad driving his speedway midget, Holden grey power. Think it was at Traceys Speedway in Maribyrnong (now a soccer field)

2023-10-08 15.09.53.jpg

This is his TQ, can't remember if was powered by a Triumph or Norton 750cc engine.

2023-10-08 15.10.37.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Watched the start, then we went out and did some shopping, come back and nothing much has changed except the lap counter.

It seems whom ever is running the coverage isn't interested in showing the current Champion and race leader much at all, almost seems like they are pretending he's already left the circus.