Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 to v6 conversion

Reaganfry2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
I was just curious as to how hard or what is involved or even if it is possible to change a a ve ss from v8 to a v6 engine to make it p plate legal. I am a big fan of the ve ss and but will not be able to drive until i am off my p's and would honestly prefer v6 or v8 anyday

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Why would you go backwards for that stupid reason? They're practically the same car bar the engine/gearbox.... Get the SV6 then upgrade to an SS...

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I was just curious as to how hard or what is involved or even if it is possible to change a a ve ss from v8 to a v6 engine to make it p plate legal. I am a big fan of the ve ss and but will not be able to drive until i am off my p's and would honestly prefer v6 or v8 anyday

Simple fix... buy the V6 to stay legal and upgrade the V6's interior/exterior to anything the SS has that the V6 doesn't.
To be brutally honest, doing an engine swap on an SS to V6 just to stay legal is a pretty f@#king stupid idea

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Silly idea. Get any other P-plate legal car until you are off your P's.

If not a 6cyl Commodore then I'd highly recommend a little buzz box as they cost nothing to buy or maintain and will be able to be sold quickly when not needed.

- boingk

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
is possible to change a a ve ss from v8 to a v6 engine to make it p plate legal. I am a big fan of the ve ss

They made them stock out of the factory. There called a SV6. Maybe you should have googled them before creating a thread seeing as their a V6 SS.

They look like an SS and have basically the same interior only difference is the SSV tail lights and SSV rims which are cheaper then a conversion.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I agree with others, forget about converting an SS back to a V6, just too hard and not worth the dollars. An SV6 is cheaper than an SS, as Vongy10 said in post 2, get an SV6, then upgrade to an SS when it's legal for you to do so. SV6 (in series one) is the same as SS except obviously the V8, also seats and six stack stereo in SS, single disc stereo in the SV6, the brakes are just a little larger in the SS, but really aside from the V8 and the seats, there is little difference.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
SV6 (in series one) is the same as SS except obviously the V8, also seats and six stack stereo in SS, single disc stereo in the SV6, the brakes are just a little larger in the SS, but really aside from the V8 and the seats, there is little difference.

Pretty sure there the SSV to SS differences. The SS and SV6 interiors are near identical.

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Have you considered a Volvo?