Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB V8 Diff Gears

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
without the pinion its useless

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
ok thanks for that. well i know without a shadow of a doubt now that i have an 8 bolt diff unfortunately =(

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Egg shape cover is a 10 bolt diff.
wagondiff.jpg

Thats a 10 bolt wagon diff
sedandiff8bolt.jpg

Thats both a 8 bolt diff and a 10 bolt diff

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
i counted the bolts and its only an 8 bolt, i could only see the bottom half of the diff and i counted 4 bolts

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
i thought the bolts refered to the number of bolts on the crown wheel. your not counting the housing bolts are you?

the number of bolts refer to the number of...CROWNWHEEL bolts
both small and large have the same number of cover bolts!

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
the number of bolts refer to the number of...CROWNWHEEL bolts
both small and large have the same number of cover bolts!

whoops! i was talking to soop earlier and we thought it was the housing bolts. well my diff is egg shaped so 10 bolt??? but werent factory 253s 8 bolt has been mentioned previously?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Costs of engineering was huge, cheaper to out source it.

ummm...nup

tooling was worn out, GMH was losing $2million a day (try $700 million in total)
easier to get someone already making one (BW) to supply one

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
perhaps they were called salisbury diffs because they were made in salisbury, sa? just a thought lol.

ummm ...no nothing to do with Salisbury SA (GMH never made axles in SA...only trimatics!) nor Salisbury UK
my old tech teacher said the story went something like this..

The Salisbury Wheel Company was founded in New York USA about1900 a bloke called Salisbury, a maker of umbrellas, who invemted and patented an automobile wheel and gear setup, who got together with some guys raised some $ and started manufacture.

Salisbury's first customer was a Mr Thomas, maker of the Thomas Flyer. Shortly thereafter about 1905 the company started manufacturing front axles. (check out the Flyer design)
a few years later rear axles were added to its product line. Acquired by Spicer (them of driveline fame) after WW1, Salisbury moved to Toledo abou 1 0 years later closer to the center of the US auto industry.
Salisbury built axles became standard equipment in thousands of automotive vehicles inc GM vehicles of course. At the outbreak of World War II the light rugged Salisbury axles went into Jeeps and stuff.
Salisbury axles (actually Spicer) had become well known and that style of axle with a semi-floating construction based around a strong cast center (or carrier) just get called Salisburys.
..as distiinct from Banjos

history lesson over :)

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
whoops! i was talking to soop earlier and we thought it was the housing bolts. well my diff is egg shaped so 10 bolt??? but werent factory 253s 8 bolt has been mentioned previously?

Well, you and soop are both wrong. As already said a 10 bolt has 10 bolts on the crownwheel, it's just coincidence that it also has 10 bolts holding the backing plate on. If it's egg shaped, it's a 10 bolt salisbury.