Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve '07 dash rattle.

txhog

Reaction score
Haha Tinsnips, sounds like you take your ute in heaps. Seems a pretty good dealer you go too.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
its those shitty white plastic clips that are most likely the culprit, probably around the centre stack surround.

seanssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6spd man with WP power pack
Always the way isn't it. Like crying Wolf.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Haha Tinsnips, sounds like you take your ute in heaps. Seems a pretty good dealer you go too.

You're right.. it's been in a few times recently! These noises are just me whinging though - it's been in for genuine issues - clutch, gearbox, suspension, paint falling off the front bar, power steering pulley throwing itself out 3 times - seems to have spent more time in their garage than in mine!! Makes me wonder sometimes why I like to much!!! I've got no complaints with the dealer - they're all a nice bunch of blokes - I think they're as frustrated with it as I am!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
its those shitty white plastic clips that are most likely the culprit, probably around the centre stack surround.

Yeah that seems to be the issue - took a tech for a drive and he agreed - they allegedly replaced them.. but it's still creaking - right up around the facia for the centre speaker on the top of the dash. Those clips were one of the worst idea holden's come up with, I think!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Ditto tinsnips.

I had the same...and the dealership (Ballarat) tried to fob me off each service with "fixed it- it was a ill-fitting steering wheel trim"...then next time "fixed it - it was an ill-fitting dash trim"......(too lazy to take out the dash and check -because I'm female no doubt)...until I blasted them with "BULLSHIT - you're running out of frigging trims!!! you're just too lazy to pull out the dash and fix it..." - and went to another dealership (Smiths of Geelong) who did exactly that - pulled out the dash and found a plastic screw.
I had the run around and an annoying rattle for over a year!! Easily fixed None since. :)

Not as simple as that unfortunately. When a dealership is trying to diagnose a rattle the time they spend is claimed back from Holden if its still under warranty. Holden wont pay more than half an hour for rattles if the vehicle isnt newly delivered. (basically older than 10,000kms). So we have 30 mins to try and find it which is nowhere near enough time.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Not quite true. Apparantly Holden will now only cover things like rattles up to 3000kms then it's over to the dealer to cover the costs through themselves or you, the customer. Another tightarse tactic by those moron bean counters over at Holden HQ.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'm sure that's the case and I'm by no means attacking the dealers about this issue. Besides - a creak or rattle could be caused by countless different things - it would be a fluke to get it fixed the first time. However, It does appear to be a trend - in all industries - where the company is being taken over by accountants. Things like build quality, customer service, even internal employee relations are coming well down the priority line from the dollar. It's sad to me that something that had/has the potential to be excellent is hindered by cost cutting. From being a store manager (in a previous life) myself, I know how important things like customer loyalty and repeat business are - and I understand just how difficult it is to reverse when things go badly. IF they want to save money by using, let's call them 'second choice' components, then they should be prepared to back the dealer financially when said components fail, be it a rattle in the dash or a complete mechanical failure, so long as the vehicle is within the warranty period. However, with hindsight, I'm sure the bean counters at holden might be feeling a little sheepish by not allowing just a little extra in the budget to get the job done right in the first place.

Please don't read this as a rant at Holden, as it not intended as such, more an observation and expression of frustration in general. As I've said in other threads, I love my ute - and wouldn't swap it, even though it seems of late that it's spent more time in the dealer's garage than my own (and is most likely heading back there shortly). I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. I think overall Holden has done an exceptional job with this car and it only saddens me to see it undone by what are predominantly very minor issues which could have been prevented. I have seen posts on this forum where people are swearing off holden, never to buy one again, which is a shame and I'm sure such emotion isn't limited to this site, or even this manufacturer. It is clear that we have the knowledge and ability in this country to build and manufacture world class products but, as with the vast majority of countries world over, we clip our wings buy cutting corners to save a buck rather than showcasing the best we can produce in a given market. Also to suggest that the VE should be on par with, say, a 5 series is ridiculous for more reasons than just the price tag. However, where the BMW seems to shine is in the end quality in what it produces. Not the gadgets, or accessories, or the heated seats, or the badge. Just the fact that it works. Everyday. Surely THAT should be the benchmark, rather than all the fancy things it can do.

And I think that is my 2 cent's worth for the next 10 years!