Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE audio mod

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Crossover means two separate speakers with a crossover to filter frequencies. Coaxials' are just one speaker with like a tweeter in the middle.

Don't buy Type R's, had them and binned them...

whats wrong with them exactly mate ? I thought type r are meant to be one of the best you can get ?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Aren't Type R speakers 4 ohm speakers? When standard units are all 2 ohms. I was lead to believe that if you install 4 ohms amongst a load of 2 ohm speakers your not going to get the performance out of them that you could do?

Yep, they're 4ohm. Yeah I think you're right mate.

whats wrong with them exactly mate ? I thought type r are meant to be one of the best you can get ?

They're honestly not much better than the standard speaker in terms of mids and highs but do have more punch, amping them will only give them more punch. That's what all of the advertising makes you think, it's bait for people that don't know any better. Much better speakers out there for the same price.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Arent majority of speakers in todays market 4 omhs ? Which brands still have 2 omhs speakers ?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Arent majority of speakers in todays market 4 omhs ? Which brands still have 2 omhs speakers ?

Yeah probably. Morel, Focal,Polk, Rainbow Audio have 2ohm speakers and I'm sure there's still plenty more.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea ve has 2 ohm speakers which if u get 4 ohm the amp won't drive the speakers as hard, that's where the ve is better to get an amp and processor to up the quality and drive thre better speakers properly... i think there is one brand that does 2 ohm speakers but can't remember who they were...

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
oh no~~i brought them already, but I'm also getting an amps, will the amps give me clearer sound??? speaking of "punch", do you mean bass??? cox i got sub install already

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
yea ve has 2 ohm speakers which if u get 4 ohm the amp won't drive the speakers as hard, that's where the ve is better to get an amp and processor to up the quality and drive thre better speakers properly... i think there is one brand that does 2 ohm speakers but can't remember who they were...

Your amp will put out to the speakers impedance, so long as the amp can handle 2ohm then it will put that out to the speakers. Usually the amp will put more power out, but it wont be as clean. I had a set of infinity capa that were 2 ohm.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
oh no~~i brought them already, but I'm also getting an amps, will the amps give me clearer sound??? speaking of "punch", do you mean bass??? cox i got sub install already

Depends on how you tune your amp. By 'punch' I mean better mid bass, well if you got a sub installed already then filter out the low frequencies so they don't distort or clip at high volume. Let the sub handle sub bass and speakers to handle mid bass.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Amp is clearer and louder simple.

Difference between 2ohm and 4ohm... At the end of the day? #### all. I do speaker swaps on VE and VFs on a regular basis without amps. While its not preferred no one really notices the very slight volume loss.

By halving your power output, your only dropping 3db which is just noticeably quiter to the human ear.

The thing that plays the biggest part in changing the speakers over is that you are putting in a far less efficient speaker.. This compounds the drop in output.

Where you will notice the output drop the most is not in the volume but in the lower end of the frequency spectrum. To make bass you need a lot of power to keep the cone moving that far and that slowly whilst remaining stable... You no longer have that. Hence forth, without an amp the kick drum turns into a flap drum lol

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
thanks for the advise mate~sounds like amps is a must for speaker upgrade