Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE BCM (Body Control Module) B1517 Error

ghostrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98
Hey Guys,

having cut outs on my VE under acceleration randomly and suspected battery or something because the car sometimes has problems starting and loosing Traction Assist ESC EBA EBC

the scan tool come up with this error as present
Battery Voltage Plausibility Failure B1517 Symptom 5A

anyone seen this before or know what you need to do to fix it
please don't say change my battery I have already done this and still have the code present
I cleared with a tech 2 and rescan with same code with new 650cca recommended battery.

no other faults.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Advertising is restricted to site sponsors, if you wish to advertise your services please contact site admin.

Jaden Welch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD (diesel)
Any success resolving your issue?

About a month ago I stopped driving my truck as a daily driver, and a couple weeks ago I started having a similar problem.

A short time after installing a BD Diesel high idle kit, which requires a sense wire to the BCM, my DIC started displaying an error message that says something like ‘Service: Low Battery Voltage’

Around the same time I also started getting another message that said something like ‘Service: Driver Assist’

I am wondering if I caused damage when installing the high idle kit?

When I took my truck into the dealership they said that the drivers left rear haptic motor was damaged. They replaced the motor and I am no longer getting the driver assist error message.

For the low battery message they said
the error code was B1517 5A “Battery Voltage Not Plausible” and told me that they did not exactly know what was causing it, but that I should uninstall my high idle kit and see if that resolves the issue. I did and it didn’t.

From what I have read, this condition occurs when the BCM sensor voltage drops significantly below your battery voltage (e.g. 2V), which can either be caused by a shorted accessory or by a bad ground connection.

My battery voltage is a tad low (@12.5V), but that doesn’t seem to be causing me any issues ...even with the supposed fault condition everything seems to be working perfectly fine.

I want to fix the problem if there is one, but mostly I want the error message to go away.

Thanks,

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That member hasn't been back online since he was warned for advertising his services. I doubt he'll be back but I could be wrong....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
He did but it was removed. hasn't been back since.