Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE - Big Whoopy Do Da

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
vztrt said:
Falcons run at 10.9 for the 4sp Auto, at least the sticker says it.
Easy thing is the sticker is BS:D My brother has enough trouble getting what i get week to week, When he drops his average to 10.9 it's the freeway trips that give him that but other then that it's about 13-14. But 10.9 is achievable but in different conditions.
vztrt said:
The BA was 300kg heavier than the AU which would be the ecotec competitor. Also the BA I6 shits on the ecotec for power and torque.
Still has trouble beating them old Buick's but:D
I'd back my car to 100 then take a fast left turn:yeah:

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
The reason the interest rate rise is coming though is because despite higher fuel prices, people are spending more than ever. The economy isn't slowing down, so the interest rates have to go up.

Exactly!!! People keep whinging about the fuel costs they have to live with these days but we still live in a time of record retail consumption. If interest rates don't go up, we could easily fall into a recession (or worse) where the strong, robust ecomony suddenly falls over. It's a very fine balancing act and interest rate rises are very necesary...

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
1991_Vn2nV said:
The reason the interest rate rise is coming though is because despite higher fuel prices, people are spending more than ever. The economy isn't slowing down, so the interest rates have to go up.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Exactly!!! People keep whinging about the fuel costs they have to live with these days but we still live in a time of record retail consumption. If interest rates don't go up, we could easily fall into a recession (or worse) where the strong, robust ecomony suddenly falls over. It's a very fine balancing act and interest rate rises are very necesary...

Both valid points. But, the point of interest rate rises is to slow the economy. And, even though spending is high at the moment I find it interesting that a four cylinder car is topping sales. Imagine the impact the government put the breaks on the economy.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
1991_Vn2nV said:
The Toyota Corrolla topped car sales for 1 month... It wont be a consistent thing, especially when the VE goes on sale.
We hope.....

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
SlickHolden said:
Still has trouble beating them old Buick's but:D
I'd back my car to 100 then take a fast left turn:yeah:

Auto I would agree, but against a manual it's a pretty close contest.

Also Mongoose3800 - Put your old engine into a VE and see what fuel consumption figures you get. Try driving the VN with an extra 500kg everywhere. Engines are getting more efficient but at the end of the day weight is the biggest contributor of how fuel efficient your car is. You can see with cars that have aluminium panels and are lighter have fantastic fuel economy.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
vztrt said:

Also Mongoose3800 - Put your old engine into a VE and see what fuel consumption figures you get. Try driving the VN with an extra 500kg everywhere. Engines are getting more efficient but at the end of the day weight is the biggest contributor of how fuel efficient your car is. You can see with cars that have aluminium panels and are lighter have fantastic fuel economy.
Aluminium panels? That would be the most unsafe car ever.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
drewins said:
Aluminium panels? That would be the most unsafe car ever.

No... Not doors or roof... But quarter panels, bonnets and boots? HELL YES!!! There are even cars with plastic panels that you can whack pretty damn hard and there is no obviously visible damage. I know the Nissan X-Trail has plastic front quarter panels.

The safety of cars these days is beneath the surface. Things like side intrusion bars and crumple zones. Also, with SRS (suplimental restraint systems) such as air bags becoming more prevailent and now in almost every part of the car (ala curtain air bags etc), cutting back on big heavy steal panels can be done and safety of occupants can still get better! :D

Technology is a wonderful thing :D

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
vztrt said:

A very good and intelligent point. Putting an old 3.8 Buick into a VE would be like throwing a trailer on the back of my old VN with a load of dirt. It's an interesting way of looking at how much heavier new cars are. Sure, if the Ve were lighter it would put forward some amazing figures. I just think it is a shame that new cars are so much heavier.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
vztrt said:

For us going to the footy is a full car of 5, Ruffly worked out 2 1800kg+ total weight, Fuel used isn't flash,
Even when i had bad economy and could get 260km on a full tank just driving to the MCG with 5 got me only a return of 210km, Thats 50 off already and we only went to the footy once on that tank.