Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE blindspot

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Eh it isn't that bad in any real world circumstance except perhaps at a roundabout. I'd take occupant safety over slightly improved visibility any day.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ bad at roundabouts, right turns especially fast sweepers... yhe power is addictive but it’s not as fun to fang around as my old clunker with skinny A-pillars. I didn’t notice it as being as issue on the test drive but now I’d say it’s bad. It seems to bother some people more than others and probably depends on their height somewhat.

Now when I’m driving the VF, I’m like a bobblehead just to see where I’m going :p

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Eh it isn't that bad in any real world circumstance except perhaps at a roundabout. I'd take occupant safety over slightly improved visibility any day.

I agree, it's not bad. Very simple to move your head slightly to see around it

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's definitely bad but I have grown used to it the last 10 years so now it's not such a problem.
It was a cost decision by Holden as from memory they used medium strength steel in the A pullers instead of higher strength steel which would have allowed them to be thinner. The rollover strength of the VE is pretty awesome though, just have a watch of some arab drifting vids on YouTube LOL!!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The further back design pushes the angle of the windscreen pillars, the stronger they need to be. Consider the HQ. Incredibly thin A pillars but almost upright. Pillars of the HQ's dimension would never withstand a rollover if they were canted back at the same angle as the VE.
And plenty of other vehicles have stupidly thick pillars. My Captiva suffers from the same issue. The pillars easily hide a small vehicle approaching from the left.

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Had my VE SS for 3 years now, never noticed it until this thread lol

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I think it depends on the driver's size and how they sit. I'm 6ft and sit well back from the steering wheel. I have never owned a VE or VF, but I have driven them. Never noticed any problems.
Our Territory has equally thick A pillars. I don't find a problem there, and have never heard or seen any complaints about them.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I think it depends on the driver's size and how they sit. I'm 6ft and sit well back from the steering wheel. I have never owned a VE or VF, but I have driven them. Never noticed any problems.
Our Territory has equally thick A pillars. I don't find a problem there, and have never heard or seen any complaints about them.

i'm 6ft and sit well back i've noted the issue but adjust my behaviour to account for it.

there are plenty of complaints, and it is mentioned in most reviews of the vehicle.