Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE blindspot

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm 6'1 and it took some getting used to. I've had Harley's, sedans and even a semi trailer hide behind the pillars. It seems the further back you sit the more of a problem the B pillar becomes..
I just don't move until I have checked nothing is hiding behind the pillars. If that means sitting still and missing a gap occasionally then that's how it goes.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
also

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/slimmer-commodore-windscreen-pillars-coming-5380/

There is hardly a test report about a VE Commodore or its many derivatives that doesn't contain a critical reference to the overly thick windscreen pillars which can hide a pedestrian or motorcyclist or even a car in a roundabout.

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/holden-commodore-vf-used-car-review-117308

The biggest design glitch was probably that super-thick A-pillar that had the ability to block the driver’s view forward to a pretty extreme extent. Of course, thick pillars make for a stronger, safer car, but you can’t help but think the blind spot created by the VF’s pillar might have been a bit counter-productive in this department.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/life...6f897330d?sv=baee04404c9c249ab9b4c3050a7ab469

The current VE Commodore is a classic example, Case says. "It has been designed for the best possible safety, but from day one it has had a very thick pillar, which has noticeable visibility problems."

https://www.caradvice.com.au/owner-reviews/2016-holden-commodore-sv6-review/

Other complaints – thick A-pillars are seriously a safety hazard. Coming up to roundabouts, I am needing to move my head back and forth to ensure no car is there. One time, a small Getz was hidden behind the pillar and I almost ran straight into it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, the vision problems is much worse for short legged ducks who have to sit closer to the wheel :p

Should have had adjustable peddals to keep the driver as far back as possible :rolleyes:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I never said they solved the problem. I said the had a thinner A-pillar trim. To me that was Holden acknowledging that the A-pillar pissed people off and the trim redesign was a crap effort at improving that.
Most wouldn’t notice. It’s like an elephant losing a couple of kilos.
I saw this in the building VF video by Holden.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I came from a VE to VF, didn't notice a difference at all.
Me either. They look the same expect they changed the colour of the interior trim.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
It's definitely bad but I have grown used to it the last 10 years so now it's not such a problem.
It was a cost decision by Holden as from memory they used medium strength steel in the A pullers instead of higher strength steel which would have allowed them to be thinner. The rollover strength of the VE is pretty awesome though, just have a watch of some arab drifting vids on YouTube LOL!!

I think you'll find the hard design points of VE were locked in long before any decision was made on what strength steel was going where. Also, Holden used super high strength steel in B-pillar and sill rocker areas so I doubt they skimped on the A-pillar.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The design choices, whether styling, engineering, cost cutting or whatever, may be interesting but ultimately isn't really relevant. It's a poor design choice regardless as the thick A pillars and the shiny shiny interior trim pieces do nothing to improve crash avoidance.

In fact, such a manufacturing choice is likely to contribute to crashes yet the idiots in change of ANCAP award lots of stars to such vehicles because they have 'active' stuff that helps occupants when they get into a crash (probably due to these design choices resulting in massive blind spots and blinding reflective surfaces). Stuff like airbags and seatbelt reminders only server to dumb people down as it gives them a false sense of security. Basically ANCAP is a brain dead ideology as it doesn't allow comparisons between different years and desperately needs a huge overhaul. Only then may manufacturers start to choose better passive designs.

Until then, i'll continue to be a bobblehead driver :po_O

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Until then, i'll continue to be a bobblehead driver :po_O
Don't want to come across as an asset, but really it is a tiny movement that you should be doing on nearly any car...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I never said they solved the problem. I said the had a thinner A-pillar trim. To me that was Holden acknowledging that the A-pillar pissed people off and the trim redesign was a crap effort at improving that.
Most wouldn’t notice. It’s like an elephant losing a couple of kilos.
I saw this in the building VF video by Holden.
Exactly, I agree. I was talking about Holden. If all they did was change the trim then they really didn't try hard enough as that was never going to solve the issue.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't want to come across as an asset, but really it is a tiny movement that you should be doing on nearly any car...
Tiny movements just like the little brown bobblehead dogs that were so popular on the rear parcel shelfs in cars of the sixties :p Thought we’d all moved past that :)