Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE ECU software - where to source?

decco

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Calais V
Hey guys,

I'm looking to 'fix' a potential timing chain issue on an '06 VE Berlina. It is resulting in the Check Engine Light coming on and staying on.

Two possible solutions I have found thus far, aside from replacing the belts themselves (v. costly) are:
1. disconnect battery to reset ECU codes
2. update ECU software

I've had the car looked at by a mechanic, who advised the codes indicated timing chain issues, and reset the codes for me, but in the 15 minute drive home the Check Engine Light re-illuminated and has not disappeared since (it is ever present when starting the vehicle).

As I have not yet bothered to disconnect the battery to see if that will solve it (which I doubt it will, as the mechanic's solution was short-lived) I'm interested in sourcing the 'new' ECU software released for early VEs... apparently this was released in 2012 or something.

Can anybody advise on how I would obtain the software and how I would update the ECU in the car if I were to go down this path?

Cheers.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
battery disconnection will do bugger all. The software update is just a bandaide fix. Have heard that it doesnt keep the CEL off for long. Basically start saving for a chain replacement should that be the fault

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So how exactly do you think updating the ECU will fix your timing chain issue? The problem is that all chains stretch to different amounts and tolerances, but it also doesn't mean they won't stop stretching and will probably get worse.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Holden actually did come up with a computer fix for this. I would be more thinking along the lines of it just gets rid of the warning to save them replacing it under warranty then when it stretches to a new pre set tolerance the check engine light will be back on hopefully for holden the car will then be out of warranty. If its stretched it stretched common problem on the 06, 07 and early 08 models. I know you don't want to hear this but your only option for a true fix is replace the timing chain. It could nearly potentially be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand motor from the wreckers and have your mechanic fit that depending on your mileage.

You could always drive around in limp mode until you ko the motor and then replace it. Sometimes I feel my ve is in limp mode its factory lpg though high klms and generally just a slug my old v6 ecotec would smash it but I love the ve driveability wise.... still pondering the idea of a 2nd hand vf ss :rofl2: