Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series 2 electrical information in engine bay

nOisia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 sv6
Yesterday my near new car 18k kms on the clock car went into limp mode or no power/charge mode in traffic, like no power to anything no dash no nothing just dead.
I know a little about electrical circuits, so I tested the known power points tested in engine bay and found this.

Tested battery 12.5v
Tested first main junction from the battery (upper right side of engine bay) there's is a red + cap point.. tested that 12.5v
Then moved to lower left side of engine bay where the relay fuse panel is, the next point where the relays are supplied 0v
So a break in the supply!

Followed the cable back, found a strange looking joint, very close to one end of the cable.
Moved that cable around with the weird looking part on it & I get power again.

looks like a diode or fuse or an insulator or a ferrite ?

So its something to do with that device on the cable or the cable itself.

Anyone know what it is ?

I've attached a pic of where this break is (look at the thick blue arrow in diagram)

Attachments

• Presentation11.jpg
    Presentation11.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 4,390

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I think the point you are measuring at the fuse box is the earth, check that point for continuity to an earth point to confirm.

nOisia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 sv6
There is a 12v positive cable right near the fuse box, I was probe-ing that point to earth

Initially there was no 12v, after moving the cable, measured 12v again WTF

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
there is an inline fuse in that cable I believe..... hence the change in the in the fuse box cover lid in the early stages..... initially it had a rubber boot over it, and if someone tried to jump start on that point it would blow the fuse..... now the plastic lid covers it..... I was lead to believe the cable has to be replaced to change the fuse so to speak

nOisia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 sv6
Ok well that fuse works but whenever I move it, I lose power to the whole car..

That's a "send back to Holden" Warranty I assume, dam better be!

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
I agree with andyman. I reckon it will be a loose thermal breaker (inline fuse) in the power cable to the fusebox. If it is loose/intermittent and not blown, it will defineitely be a warranty job.

nOisia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 sv6
Turned out to be at the junction at the battery feed into engine bay, you know where the Red + cap is top right of engine bay (near right shock tower)

Apparently there's an inbuilt fuse in there somewhere, and after showing Holden mechanics, it went faulty on them too.

They changed the whole wire loom unit from end to end, no arguments, no ifs, no buts. That was exceptional warranty service by GM. Very happy with the outcome.