Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 SS Ute Whistling

Brentes_C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SSZ Ute
Hi all,

I currently have a 2012 VE S2 SSZ Ute in manual. It only has 10k kms on the clock. Lately, the car has been whistling quite loudly from the engine compartment only when driving You can hear it quite loudly from the drivers side of the car with the windows down and faintly from the passenger side. The noise seems to be rev related as when building revs it gets a lot louder. The noise starts at around 1500rpm and can be clearly heard in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears then road noise covers it up from 4th onwards

The mods I have fitted is a walkinshaw W310 pack (Headers, high flow cats, cold air intake and cat back exhaust)

Please note the noise started before this pack was fitted and has gotten substantially louder ever since getting it fitted

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Had the same dramas and it was the AC pulley that had clapped it. Didn't affect the air con yet and still made noise regardless of whether the AC was on or off.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
could be alternator whistle, as snow says does it happen with a/c on or off or all the time etc

Brentes_C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SSZ Ute
It does happen regardless of the aircon being on or off

Brentes_C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SSZ Ute
No worries, its due for a service shortly. As its still under new car warranty, I will request both the a/c pulley and alternator are checked. Thanks for your input

Brentes_C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SSZ Ute
Hey guys,

So I took it back to the dealer and they dont reckon they can find anything at all.

But now that all the new parts have worn in it is ticking like crazy when accelerating then the whistle kicks in. Kinda sounds like whatever it is, is rubbing. If that makes sense. Any input to get the muppets at holden to do something about it as it is under warranty

Cheers

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
This has puzzled me since Ive owned a ve 6L never had it happen on a v6. I was told by a auto elec cause my car is ex cop car it has a bigger alternator then usual and thus putting out so much power you hear the whine/whistle. holden couldn't figure it out tho lol. But I use to work in a car detailing shop and we'd often get ve ss commodores in and most of them had the whine in cabin so im puzzled

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
it's quite common, its elec noise from the Alt when under load, nothing to do with cop car, mine does it and its not a cop car

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
I get a little whistling at cold start and seems to go away after that , or you just cant hear it. Unsure myself, but does not seem detrimental.( VE SS.)