Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series II Speaker upgrade

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Ye i only wana take the door trims off once, save breaking any clips and loosening the trim

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Had mine off a few times to check stock speaker sizes before buying new ones, then for fitting the new speakers and again to fix a faulty window switch.
No broken clips at all and everything is still tight so no rattles etc.
Unlike the dash etc, the door clips are a bit more substantial.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Ye I was about to purchase those speakers online, though those rears look weird to fit under stock grills.. And buying on the net I have no refund really... Need one of those speakers to test out, but no retail shops really stock that range....

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Still working on an install write up as I have to go back and take a few pics etc. It takes longer to write it up than to do the install.

Here is some info on the stock speakers to get you started

- Centre Dash Speaker... (3.5" 30w 4ohm)
On the premium system it is a single coil two wire speaker taken from the head unit
Polarity = +Orange -L/Blue
I believe on the basic system it is a two coil 4 wire speaker taken from the feeds to each front door speaker. One coil feeds from each front door speaker circuit.
Polarity = RF+L/Green RF-D/Green LF+Brown LF-Grey
This speaker has a habit of distorting at higher volumes so most people just disconnect it.
To get at it lift the front speaker cover which pops off starting at from the front (windshield) edge and work to the back where there are hinge tabs.
Some people replace it with an 8ohm or 16ohm unit to tone it down a bit or wire in resistors. I have just disconnect it at present.
There is a huge amount of discussion on how badly or otherwise this centre speaker affects sound quality and dozens of solutions but its really down to personal taste.

- Front Door Speakers... (160mm 2ohm 30w Component - Mid woofer flush depth = 70mm)
Polarity = RF+L/Green RF-D/Green LF+Brown LF-Grey
Replace these with splits, they can be either 6" or 6.5"

- In dash tweeters... (2ohm 30w Approx 35mm wide)
Replace these with the tweeters that come with the front splits.
Don't just connect the stock wires to new tweeters, they must be direct wired to the new crossovers that come with the splits

- Rear Door Speakers... (160mm 2ohm 30w 2 way - depth = 70mm)
Polarity = RR+D/Blue RR-L/Blue LR+Brown LR-Yellow/Red Trace
Replace these with 2 way. either 6" or 6.5"

- Subs... (2ohm 50w 8")
Polarity = Left+D/Blue-white Left-L/Green-Black Right+D/Green Right-L/Blue-Black
Obviously no subs or amp in the non premium system

Last edited:

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Definantly looking forward to your write up mate, think you'll be the toast of the VE section once it's done ;)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
already got my beer open ready to chink! :)

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
boneart,
thanks for the excellent details on the existing speakers.

Do you know if there are better quality 2 ohm subs to easily replace the original? As with the other standard speakesr in the premium set-up it is hopeless!

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
hey guys,

not much actual mention on types of speakers so far! lol

anyone heard anything on the JL Audio ZR Splits? I realise now that there are different models on these, i was looking at the ones that RRP for around AU $1,200 per set.

LachieSV6 - Install looks great. I had a full Alpine Type R System (with 2x12" Subs) with a custom install i built in one of my previous cars. It was fantastic! I will most likely be getting a Type R 12" in my ute for my new system.

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
boneart,
thanks for the excellent details on the existing speakers.

Do you know if there are better quality 2 ohm subs to easily replace the original? As with the other standard speakesr in the premium set-up it is hopeless!

Thats my next job but still looking into whats involved and learning about subs.

From what I understand so far, there are a few good 8" 2ohm subs around however most require an enclosure. The stock speakers are Free-Air or Infinite Baffle meaning they use the sealed boot space instead of a small box so if you are just replacing the stocks in the existing positions any replacements need be specifically marked as free-air compatible and I am yet to come across any that would be free-air plug and play. If anyone knows of some I would love to hear about them.

Once you start getting into enclosures you then start looking at loss of boot space and all the other amp upgrade issues etc that go along with all that

ccbell

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman V8
Great info well done,I have a WM with the basic sound system,Am I correct in thinking the 2 speakers in the parcel shelf are sub woofers.
If so a quick upgrade should I just change the door speakers or the subs aswell.