Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vessv470

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
Hey guys I got a 2009 ssv commodore, with what seems is open diff, I’ve always been told that v8s are lsd standard but mine doesn’t seem to be lsd. Even tho on the diff it says (LSD Y)
Could it be broken? It’s just a little confusing as I’d rather a lsd. Thanks guys :)

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yip they are an LSD but a **** one mate yours is probably worn, an aftermarket true trac lsd unit is what ya want they aren’t that cheap but are very good and youll never have one wheel spin problems again

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If it says LSD :Y
It should be a LSD, have you jacked it up and check the trick to spin one wheel forward the and other one does the same ?
If so, its a LSD,
If not, I would say either the clutch's are stuffed or the someone has modified it.

FYI: My 2012 L77 Wagon doesn't not have a LS, I also wondered why ALL V8's didn't have them,
I am actually looking for one that has NOT been thrashed, and/or broken.

vessv470

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
If it says LSD :Y
It should be a LSD, have you jacked it up and check the trick to spin one wheel forward the and other one does the same ?
If so, its a LSD,
If not, I would say either the clutch's are stuffed or the someone has modified it.

FYI: My 2012 L77 Wagon doesn't not have a LS, I also wondered why ALL V8's didn't have them,
I am actually looking for one that has NOT been thrashed, and/or broken.

yeah I did this afternoon one wheel went the opposite way But still had the sticker saying lsd y. By modify what do you mean? Can I replace what’s inside the cover of the diff to make it a lsd or do I replace the hole thing. I’m not smart with diffs hah so don’t judge if I sound dumb. Just trying to work it out

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I don't judge people for that don't know.

At least you are honest to say that you are not familiar with Diffs,
and you are not Dumb if you don't know.

How many K's has it done ?
I would say the clutches could possibly warn out.

There is really only 3 options I can suggest -
  1. Replace it with a s/hand unit [ie: Wreckers, or from a person parting out a car with a LSD, but make sure you get the same ratio]
  2. Replace it with a Reconditioned one which would be a little more expensive, and get you by.
  3. Replace it with a New one, much more expensive option, but will last another 10+years.

As mentioned earlier, a true trac is a good unit.

But it comes down to -
  • What you want,
  • What you need,
  • What you can afford
  • Do you need it ?

Just need to weight up your options !
And what sort of driving you do I guess.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
A true trac is an LSD centre that goes inside your existing diff housing mate you could get yours rebuilt but in time it will one wheel again as they really aren’t that good of an lsd unit, obviously depending on how hard you drive as well