Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS misfire and ticking noise

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
check plugs leads do vibrate off a bit, had avg fuel once car would stall at lights but in your case odd that's its a miss and tick could be one lifter on the way out would get it checked out asap. Mine was a tick at low revs as well(no miss) drove home pulled apart 2 lifters and cam marked but got it before engine damagaed

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What’s metho mate and where would ya get it? Bearing in mind I’m in NZ
Metho = methylated spirits.

Bunnings sells it in Aus for about $4AUD but it’s a clear liquid here (with bittering agent added)... seems in NZ they go further and add a violet dye as well.

Doubt the violet dye will cause any issues if you put 1/2 bottle of metho in a tank as the metho will still allow the water to mix with the petrol.

But do speak to a mechanic and confirm dyed metho is ok.

As a parting word, though I’ve had injector ticking with bad fuel, but you can localise where the noise is coming from with a mechanics stethoscope. Do discuss potential lifter being cause of ticking (as @blackve76 suggests) with your mechanic. I’d guess the if miss is caused by lifter issues, it may be expensive to fix (in any case fixing lifters is a heads off job if I’m not mistaken).

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yea really hoping it’s not a lifter gone bad although I have been thinking along those lines too it’s just the ticking noise seems to disappear when the revs get higher, typically valve train noise gets louder with revs doesn’t it? Had a failed lifter in my old 5 litre before and the ticking noise was a lot more noticeable than what I’m hearing

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
An update for anyone who was following this I found the issue it was a spark plug lead that had half come off one of the plugs lol