Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss performance upgrades

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey all,

First time post and new VE owner.

Looking to improve sound and performance on my 2007 VE SS.

Looking at spending around $3500 all up, for a stainless cat-back, OTR and tune.

At first I was set on the Autotechnique VE GEN-11 Kit: include 2.5" VCM cat back, VCM OTR and VCM tune.

I hear VCM OTR and tune is the best around so I'm set on that. BUT its the exhaust im not sure about.

My VE is Auto so I want no drone but the things I dont like about the VCM cat-back is the fact that it is all painted black and also im not a fan of the tips.

The other option for me is the 2.5" KPM stainless steel cat back. From wat I have read this is ment to be one of the best exhausts around both for sound and no drone.

However for Autotechniques GEN-11 package im looking at $3085

If I get the KPM 2.5" cat-back for $2290 fitted and then a VCM OTR and VCM Tune for $1485 thats a total of $3775

So my question after all this is do you think the KPM Exhaust is worth the extra $700 approx, just cause I think it look better and prob sounds better.

Please let me know wat you think.

Sorry for the long thread straight up. I just have not found many threads on people who have VCM Catbacks and wat the honestly think

Thanks guys

rofl - shiny doesn't necessarily mean sounds better.

For me - I'd be perfectly happy running a mild steel pipe. It really depends how important it is for you to add the words "stainless steel" when you are having a group toss over your car with your mates.

Ask to listen to cars running both exhausts and decide which you like the sound of better.

Reaper

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
rofl - shiny doesn't necessarily mean sounds better.

For me - I'd be perfectly happy running a mild steel pipe. It really depends how important it is for you to add the words "stainless steel" when you are having a group toss over your car with your mates.

Ask to listen to cars running both exhausts and decide which you like the sound of better.

Reaper

I agree with this also, you dont need a Stainless system unless you plan on having it as a show car, mild steel will last just as long and save ya heaps.
I have full 3" Xforce on auto, I love the sound and no drone, tucks in under my car perfect and looks neat as. The tuner that did my car is a VCM based guy but wont use there exhaust, just my 2cents worth to help your decision

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Just giving you an idea of how good the kpm 3 stainless looks from behind

20080101_01_01.jpg

227789_2009926855919_1476173635_32333631_8304417_n.jpg

Enjoy ;)

BlueSteele

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SSV Sportswagon
The Difilipo exhaust is a good system but apparently it hangs low on the VE's.

The KPM exhaust is tucked up nice and high and you have less chance of scrapping.

really? I sending my car in 6 weeks time to get full 3"system. like you I have a wagon but my tuner had a wagon so has worked out what needs to be done to get no drone either. They put 4 spiral twirls or some crap in the hotdogs (is that what they are still called?) and im camming it too. hoping it sound tuff, and hoping it doesn't hang like a testy satchel like your saying!! Ill let you know

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
really? I sending my car in 6 weeks time to get full 3"system. like you I have a wagon but my tuner had a wagon so has worked out what needs to be done to get no drone either. They put 4 spiral twirls or some crap in the hotdogs (is that what they are still called?) and im camming it too. hoping it sound tuff, and hoping it doesn't hang like a testy satchel like your saying!! Ill let you know
i think its more of the collectors that hang a bit low with defillipo's and maybe the cats nothing else, you can normally tuck a big bore system up nice and high on the VE as theres good space under them. i have what your getting, different brand though and have no probs at all and my ute is lowered.

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
The reason why the df cats hang low is due to 2 things, the headers come down on a slight angle(other brands sit close to stock) to meet the cats which dont sit in the normal factory position but rather on an angle position towards the back of the transmision.

The pics are of my df bigboy system that i had prior to the kpm, dont get me wrong i loved the note that the df had but clearance & droning issues is what made me decide to swap.

DSCF2906.jpg

DSCF2907.jpg

maka5

-=U=-
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS M6
Dont know about the Sureflow Catback, never herd it.

But their headders and cats are mint!! they sit up nice no scraping problems at all...

I got a DF 3" Catback with the sureflow headders and cats... sounds great almost no drone at all..

4.5K for KPM... mmmmmmmm naa... beter sounding systems out there with no drone for less $$, just my 2 cents.

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
Not being biased but KPM guarantee no drone on there systems. I have never read any negative feed back on an KPM exhaust.

Most other brands you hear yes it drones or no it doesn't. Sure they cost more than a 3rd world country, but you get an exhaust system that doesn't drone and sounds **** hot.

YouTube just doesn't do the exhaust justice. You need to here it in real life to no how good they sound.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Not being biased but KPM guarantee no drone on there systems. I have never read any negative feed back on an KPM exhaust.

Most other brands you hear yes it drones or no it doesn't. Sure they cost more than a 3rd world country, but you get an exhaust system that doesn't drone and sounds **** hot.

YouTube just doesn't do the exhaust justice. You need to here it in real life to no how good they sound.

This is true also one very good looking system and well made, my mechanic was suprised at how good quality and how good all the welds are on them