Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS sedan or utility, you vote

what do you like more VE SS sedan or ute

• Sedan

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Ute

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters

VESSCHICK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
Sorry guys and girls i forgot to put the wagon in the poll, you no what the problem is with these 3 styles of VE SS V, they all look fantastic in there own way so it makes it a hard choice lol, and any of the 3 are practical for me i have no kids and i hate having passangers in my car lol so one would think SS V ute would fit the picture, but then there is the wagon they look awsome when dropped on 20's hmmmmm for me its between the ute and the wagon, the only thing that bothers me with the wagon is that i like my car to sound like a true V8 so i would love to put a 3 inch KPM or Di Filippo full exhaust on it but it would drone like all **** what are your opinions on this??? i know with the ute there will be no troubles with the droning, also what is the handling like between the SS V ute, wagon and sedan is it even noticable?? OK i will shut up now LOL

Thanks for your time

PS is there any way i can add wagon to the poll???

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
people try, but a 6 will never sound like an 8....

the utes still get drone, be careful with exhaust choice, or you'll need shares in panadol...

lukeszabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Holden SSV Ute
Ute all the way, no question for me at all as the sedan didn't even enter my mind when making my decision. I must say the Sportwagon did though, right up until I wondered how I would keep the inside clean carrying dogs and yard waste etc. With my ute I just hose the back out when done and it is clean again.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The ute can get a bit tail happy but then, that's pretty normal with utes, and in this instance, not a bad thing as it's all totally progressive and controllable (and stability control is excellent, if you want the safety net). The front end is set up the same as the sedans/wagons but the rear has slightly higher spring rates to handle the load - I'd class this a good thing, handling wise, as turn in is a touch sharper - still not breathtaking though - fe2 is nowhere near responsive enough for my liking and the sway bars are too thin. All in all though, it's very communicative (through the suspension, rather than steering as with all commies) and it's very much a point and shoot operation - as in you point it in, and it will stick. Just don't cheap on replacement tyres.

It does suffer from a bit of axel tramp but I think that's pretty much across the board. A few bushes and some good, aftermarket shocks will sort most of that out.

If you've driven an older commy ute, it will be a nice surprise as they're much better balanced. Even comparing to my old VY, this one holds on better. A lot better! Plus, the SS/SSVs have an LSD as standard - which is excellent!

Grab the ute and use the extra coin to mod it. So long as you get a reasonable exhaust, you won't have an issue with drone.

And there really is no better excuse NOT to take passengers! (my passenger seat is for food! haha)

VESSCHICK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
The ute can get a bit tail happy but then, that's pretty normal with utes, and in this instance, not a bad thing as it's all totally progressive and controllable (and stability control is excellent, if you want the safety net). The front end is set up the same as the sedans/wagons but the rear has slightly higher spring rates to handle the load - I'd class this a good thing, handling wise, as turn in is a touch sharper - still not breathtaking though - fe2 is nowhere near responsive enough for my liking and the sway bars are too thin. All in all though, it's very communicative (through the suspension, rather than steering as with all commies) and it's very much a point and shoot operation - as in you point it in, and it will stick. Just don't cheap on replacement tyres.

It does suffer from a bit of axel tramp but I think that's pretty much across the board. A few bushes and some good, aftermarket shocks will sort most of that out.

If you've driven an older commy ute, it will be a nice surprise as they're much better balanced. Even comparing to my old VY, this one holds on better. A lot better! Plus, the SS/SSVs have an LSD as standard - which is excellent!

Grab the ute and use the extra coin to mod it. So long as you get a reasonable exhaust, you won't have an issue with drone.

And there really is no better excuse NOT to take passengers! (my passenger seat is for food! haha)

Thank you very much TinSnips for this information, very helpful in making the right choice. Does anyone else have anything to add?? also if you own an SS V wagon or sedan please give info on pros and cons example handling LOL.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
No cons, all pro's. I LOVE the wagon. We have a 2.5" x-force exhaust & extractors and the noise is just enough, I'm glad we didn't go 3".

The same with the entire VE series, big pillars= blind spots.

But yeah, wagon all the way, they get a little "tail happy" too... With encouragement ;-)

VESSCHICK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
OK OK OK, my choice has been narrowed down to the ute or wagon, the sedan just does not cut it in the looks department compared to the other 2. which is heavier out of the SS V ute and wagon? one would think the wagon! and also which has better handling or can you not really tell the difference unless your a race car driver.
Thanks for your time :) :) :)

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I have driven a ute too, can't say I noticed a difference at all. Yeah pretty sure the wagon is heavier, 1896kgs for the wagon, no idea on the ute tho.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Just had a look in the wheels mag I have here.

Manual SSV ute: 1786kgs
Manual SS ute: 1767kgs
Auto SSV ute: 1806kgs
Auto SS ute: 1787kgs

Manual SSV wagon: 1872kgs
Manual SS wagon: 1857kgs
Auto SSV wagon: 1805kgs
Auto SS wagon: 1801kgs

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Ute is around 100kg lighter, or thereabouts from memory. Sedans and utes have slightly lower centre of gravity which, combined with less weight means they're a bit more nimble. You wouldn't really notice it with day to day driving but does make a bit of a difference when you push it. The utes are slightly noisier in cabin, mechanically, as they don't have the same sound-proofing but I don't find it an issue.