Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS self servicing

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Personally, I use Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 and change it out, incl. filter, every 7,500km.

>>>>>And thats fine but GMH says 10W---30 so you are using a thinner oil than recommended in winter use. Why so ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
>>>>>And thats fine but GMH says 10W---30 so you are using a thinner oil than recommended in winter use. Why so ?

Personal preference.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

Rajeesh lives near high country and that oil is within spec for the engine. I travel through sub zero regions where the vehicle undercarriage actually sits on compacted snow or gets frosted this time of year, so I use Penrite 0w50.

That's because it suits better than the oil for typical driving recommendation in the handbook.

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
I C understood. Am narrow minded, thinking everyone is in Perth climate.

benneth

Reaction score
I use Ryco oil filters
and Castrol Edge 5w30

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I use Ryco oil filters
and Castrol Edge 5w30

Same here, but it does depend on usage and were you live and even season. I'm in Adelaide (cold in winter 2C this morning 45C in summer) that's a big range

I've had 3 VE SS's 2 with L98's and ran 10W60 edge and they love it cold/hot all good, bought a MY10 SS with AMF with 9000kms, put 10w60 in it and rattle at startup(didn't car a lot as car was doing a 70km trip to work), but after that went with 5W30(we moved and car does a 5km trip to work(misses car never goes over 3grand). Thinking in summer of going 5w 40 edge

The 2 alloytecs I've had I run just 5w30 edge they seem to love it.

I'm a bit oldschool used to run 25w 50 in my 5Litre Holdens etc but modern engines seems to love thin oil.

I've always changed at 7500kms even the SS with stuff all km's and highway kms the oil was dirty at 7500kms.

benneth

Reaction score
Same here, but it does depend on usage and were you live and even season. I'm in Adelaide (cold in winter 2C this morning 45C in summer) that's a big range

I've had 3 VE SS's 2 with L98's and ran 10W60 edge and they love it cold/hot all good, bought a MY10 SS with AMF with 9000kms, put 10w60 in it and rattle at startup(didn't car a lot as car was doing a 70km trip to work), but after that went with 5W30(we moved and car does a 5km trip to work(misses car never goes over 3grand). Thinking in summer of going 5w 40 edge

The 2 alloytecs I've had I run just 5w30 edge they seem to love it.

I'm a bit oldschool used to run 25w 50 in my 5Litre Holdens etc but modern engines seems to love thin oil.

I've always changed at 7500kms even the SS with stuff all km's and highway kms the oil was dirty at 7500kms.

All good points. It doesn't take long for the oil to get dirty, but then again that's its job; to catch all the impurities. I'm changing my Omega every 10,000 kms, no way is waiting until 15,000km as advised by holden a good idea. I reckon its just so they can compete with other car manufacturers service intervals of 15k.

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
All good points. It doesn't take long for the oil to get dirty, but then again that's its job; to catch all the impurities. I'm changing my Omega every 10,000 kms, no way is waiting until 15,000km as advised by holden a good idea. I reckon its just so they can compete with other car manufacturers service intervals of 15k.
The reason car manufacturers put such long intervals between services these days is to make it 'cheaper to run'. You know how they have those car comparisons in the NRMA magazine, etc, they always rate a car for it's annual cost to service. Car manufacturers just stretch services out as far as they can to reduce the annual cost of maintenance, so it rates well in the comparisons, and because they know the car will last the 3 or 5 years that it is warranted for if looked after in that way. Once your warranty is up, they don't care if the engine falls to pieces. Most people will have upgraded to a newer car within 5 years anyway.

benneth

Reaction score
The reason car manufacturers put such long intervals between services these days is to make it 'cheaper to run'. You know how they have those car comparisons in the NRMA magazine, etc, they always rate a car for it's annual cost to service. Car manufacturers just stretch services out as far as they can to reduce the annual cost of maintenance, so it rates well in the comparisons, and because they know the car will last the 3 or 5 years that it is warranted for if looked after in that way. Once your warranty is up, they don't care if the engine falls to pieces. Most people will have upgraded to a newer car within 5 years anyway.

I completely agree! The manufacturers want people to buy their new cars not their old cars, something Holden unfortunately believe in. They couldn't give a rats that I have a HR still running, they would want me to dispose of it and buy a new commodore. I understand if from a business point of view, but from a brand loyalty perspective it isn't good.

Ronsk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS ute 6.0L/A6
VE SS Ute 2008, I use Genuine Air cleaner, Ryco Z663ST Oil Filter, Penrith HPR5 5W-40. just completed 180K service, runs like new.