Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Stereo Upgrade issues. amp/ head unit cuts out

doopah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
This is what i have installed in my series 1 VE SS ute

Alpine Electronics of Australia Alpine MRX-V60 amp 5 channel amp 50 x 4 @ 4 ohms + 200w @ 4 ohms for sub

Alpine SPS-610c components to replace the front door speakers and tweets

Alpine SPS-600 two ways

Alpine SWR-T10 shallow mount sub in sealed box.

Boss Audio 1 farad capacitor

Stock head unit:( Only L & R outputs no front and rear (UTE)

All speakers wired with 12g wiring. 8 gauge to sub

Power and Earths all 4 gauge.

THE PROBLEM

It all works fine when the Volume is low, as soon as you turn it up the sound just stops. to make it work again you simply turn off the head unit and turn it back on. due to the remote sensing function on the amp high level inputs i would say doing this is resetting both the amp and the headunit. I have tried hooking up a remote turn on to the amp off an acc feed, when this was connected the amp didn't reset when the head unit was turned off and on. This points the finger at a brand new out of the box amp.

I just cant seem to work out the issue.

How can i test if the head unit is providing enough power??

All the gain settings on the amp are set to their minimum positions. Before the rear speakers were hooked up I did get it to pump a couple of times while playing with the Amp settings, as soon as the rear speakers were hooked up i cant even get the volume to go a third of the way without it cutting out.

If the Amp has High level inputs will using a line out converter or having the ASR RCA conversion done solve this?

Any help or ideas are appreciated

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Get the RCA conversion done anyway because that will make a HUGE difference in sound quality. It also could help with the issue you are having in regards to the preamp output of the unit. I know that when Greg does the conversion the output voltage is about 1 volt. I tuned up my system yesterday and it sound bloody awesome now.

doopah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
Sweet, Any ides where i can get this done in Perth or do i remove the head unit and send it away?

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
How have you got the amps wired up mate?

Your amp has a speaker level input all you would have to do is connect the speaker wires from the factory head unit to the
amplifiers speaker level input. (DIRECT nothing in between) Have you done that?
Check the rear speaker connections you said it only happen when the rear got connected check the wiring from the rear speakers to the amp.

Also how is your speaker configured OHM wise?

You can only have the following setups.

4 x 75W + 1 x 300W (2ohms)
4 x 50W + 1 x 200W (4ohms)
2 x 150W + 1 x 200W (4ohms

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Sweet, Any ides where i can get this done in Perth or do i remove the head unit and send it away?

The only person I know of is Greg from ASR Audio. He has a website.

doopah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
I have the left and right speaker wires hooked straight to the amps high level input, nothing in between. Being a ute i dont have a rear channel from the head unit. you can select on the amp for these 4 wires to control the 4 channel outs and the sub out.
The problem did occur at high volume before the rear speakers were fitted. Since they were fitted i cant get the volume past 15 without it cutting out. I will be rechecking the wiring for any faults but it is all new, also have tried isolating the capacitor from the power curcuit.

All the speakers and sub are 4 ohms. channel 1 = LF, channel 2 = RF, channel 3 = LR, Channel 4 = RR and sub. The centre dash speaker has been unplugged

I have just been advised by putting the head unit in service mode i can turn on the rear speaker outputs. Does anyony know how to do this?

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
So the way i read it is.
You have connected the FR,FL from the factory head unit to the amp speaker level input. And you have used the input select switch to use all 4 channels. So there is no connection on the rear signal speaker level input.

Try and isolate each channel and try turning the volume up.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
If you've got a 5 channel amp, why are you running the RR and sub from CH4? I think that's your problem, unless I'm misunderstanding your post?

CH5 should be running your sub. Does the amp have a low pass filter? It sounds like you may be currently running the sub at full range, which may also be the problem.

btw, ASR has a guy in Perth named Anthony. He's a member here but I can't remember his username. He does work for Greg in Perth. I know Greg (ASR) knows how to enable the two rear channels for the ute, so perhaps Ant does too.

Get the ASR RCA mod done if you can - well worth the effort.

*EDIT* Ant's username is wrx884.

doopah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
Thanks for the Trouble shooting tips... there must be a short in the front Left wire to the speaker, when it is disconnected the rest works fine and doesn't cut out. cant wait to re run the wire and crank it. Off to jeycar for a new wire.

Sub is on sub output, i may not have been clear on that

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Thanks for the Trouble shooting tips... there must be a short in the front Left wire to the speaker, when it is disconnected the rest works fine and doesn't cut out. cant wait to re run the wire and crank it. Off to jeycar for a new wire.

Sub is on sub output, i may not have been clear on that

No worries mate.

The wire itself might be fine. You might have a short to body somewhere. Meaning the conductor is touching the metal.
Like the speaker connections touching body once mounted in the door. Also where is your crossover mounted?
Maybe the connection on that is touching body.