Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Supercars

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I guess it depends what you want to get from racing. If you just want to see close racing, inter-brand rivalry and listen to V8's, then V8SC hits the spot.

If you want to see manufacturers developing better cars through racing R&D and seeing that development ending up in road cars to improve the species, then V8SC is pointless and futile.

Personally, I'd prefer that a high-profile racing series like V8SC had homologation rules similiar to rallying - the success of the WRX and EVO cars are a direct result of manufacturers competing against one another, and that means the driving public gets a faster, better handling and safer car.

You hear everyone crowing about Holden or Ford winning Bathurst or whatever, as though it means that my dad's Commodore is better than your dad's Falcon.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
What you were describing was essentially Group A. The public at large did not support it and the catagory died a natural death. The modern production car series certainly has it's place however the results are very predictable and add very little if anything to modern motorcar design. Financially they don't stand up as a headline event like V8SC.

Reaper

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
klaw81 said:
I guess it depends what you want to get from racing. If you just want to see close racing, inter-brand rivalry and listen to V8's, then V8SC hits the spot.

If you want to see manufacturers developing better cars through racing R&D and seeing that development ending up in road cars to improve the species, then V8SC is pointless and futile.

Personally, I'd prefer that a high-profile racing series like V8SC had homologation rules similiar to rallying - the success of the WRX and EVO cars are a direct result of manufacturers competing against one another, and that means the driving public gets a faster, better handling and safer car.

You hear everyone crowing about Holden or Ford winning Bathurst or whatever, as though it means that my dad's Commodore is better than your dad's Falcon.

Watch the Australian Production car series on SBS (speedweek).
If you dont know about it than there's your reason why this category doesnt replace V8SC.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I know about Australian Production racing. I also know that it has a very limited budget. Most importantly, it doesn't have any (or perhaps very limited) manufacturer backing.

Through manufacturers developing components for racing (win on Sunday, sell on Monday), better technology and race-proven components end up on mainstream road vehicles and improve the breed. The top-end EVO's and WRX's are now genuine supercars in their own right due to racing development by manufacturers.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
some more info from V8X.
Surprise Surprise....Ford having another whinge....its starting to get ridiculous

http://www.v8x.com.au/cms/A_107407/article.html

THE first example of Holden’s new VE Commodore V8 Supercar should be built by mid-September and have its initial test run between the Sandown and Bathurst enduros.

But the chances of the car actually performing some demonstration laps for public consumption at the Super Cheap Auto 1000 are still dependant on its progress through TEGA’s homologation process.

"If we get through everything we need to get through as far as the category is concerned then we’d love to show it at Bathurst," confirmed Holden motorsport manager Simon MacNamara." But it is not the biggest priority considering what else we have to achieve."
Click for larger image

As the VE process moves into its approval phase it is becoming clear that Ford, led by homologation team 888 Race Engineering, is determined that VE should not be a faster car than the one it replaces.

But any threat of VE having to be reigned in is being downplayed on the red side, where the car’s development is being handled by Walkinshaw Performance, Holden Racing Team and Holden Motorsport.

For a start, mechanicals are pretty much a straight transfer from the existing VZ, while aerodynamic parity with Falcon will be hammered out through TEGA’s official testing program.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i like the bit where it states that "888 Race Engineering, is determined that VE should not be a faster car than the one it replaces."

was the BA not faster than the AU???? YES IT WAS...GET OVER IT :bang: :ranting:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I know about Australian Production racing. I also know that it has a very limited budget. Most importantly, it doesn't have any (or perhaps very limited) manufacturer backing.

Through manufacturers developing components for racing (win on Sunday, sell on Monday), better technology and race-proven components end up on mainstream road vehicles and improve the breed. The top-end EVO's and WRX's are now genuine supercars in their own right due to racing development by manufacturers.

Ausralian Production racing has no manufacturer backing because it doesn't provide value for money. It's commercial value is just not there and has proven it can't draw the crowds to make it viable. I think you are largely living in a bygone erra (sp?) as far as development goes. Motor racing is little more than a marketing arm for modern manufacturers.

Reaper

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Um isn't it racing? Isn't the point of racing that you develop the fastest car within the category rules so you can win?

Ford people should just shut up and focus on development rather than saying the Holden needs restricting!

Do Ferrari get restricted so they aren't faster than a BMW in F1? NO!

This is just more proof that Avesco have seriously f*ucked up the competitiveness of V8 Supercars. Proof also that the Aussie Motorsport fan who religiously follows V8's is nothing more than a naive bogan. V8's are no longer racing, just advertisement for Holden, Ford and all the sponsors.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Um isn't it racing? Isn't the point of racing that you develop the fastest car within the category rules so you can win?

Ford people should just shut up and focus on development rather than saying the Holden needs restricting!

Do Ferrari get restricted so they aren't faster than a BMW in F1? NO!

This is just more proof that Avesco have seriously f*ucked up the competitiveness of V8 Supercars. Proof also that the Aussie Motorsport fan who religiously follows V8's is nothing more than a naive bogan. V8's are no longer racing, just advertisement for Holden, Ford and all the sponsors.

Racing only to a point. To have only 1 car winning isn't healthy for the sport. The whole idea of V8SC is to have both brands going the same speed.

Reaper