Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 - CANBUS + HID Kit = any issues?

Scorpion_Shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 UTE MY9.5
I would just check with your state laws man cause you dont want a pig to pull you over and give you a defect notice.

QRI05E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M10 - Nitrate
Their are some cars that came out with HID and reflector headlamps... Thos HID's are called "D2R" look them up so im sure when adjusted correctly the chances of defect are minimal

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Well in queensland the HID xenon ballast kits are illegal in the reflector lens headlights. That's why i upgraded the headlight unit to projector lens cause of the cut off point which it produces making them legal. I would check with your state laws before doing any modification to anything.
It's not legal in any state. Even when using projectors they MUST have auto-leveling and washers. I'm not saying don't do it, but you can't tell people it's legal when it's not.

Their are some cars that came out with HID and reflector headlamps... Thos HID's are called "D2R" look them up so im sure when adjusted correctly the chances of defect are minimal
D2R is a type of bulb that has a coating to block glare when used in the reflector it was designed for. These bulbs only fit in D2R sockets so you can't fit them into a VE headlight.

Last edited:

QRI05E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M10 - Nitrate
D2R is a type of bulb that has a coating to block glare when used in the projector it was designed for. These bulbs only fit in D2R sockets so you can't fit them into a VE headlight.

I have found a HID kit which uses a D2R bulb on a H7, H9 and H11 base however there will be lots of cables and ballasts in the engine bay if running lows, highs and foggies on HID lol

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, but headlights that the D2R are used in have reflectors designed for that type of globe. The kit you speak of will be better than a standard HID kits but still not perfect or legal.

QRI05E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M10 - Nitrate
Yea im sure it will be fine... I was running 100W Ebay (blue coated) cheapies in my Nissan pulsar for almost 1yr with no issues and sold the car with them.

The email I got back from that company said that the have sold over 1000 units without any returns or reports of melting/burning any components. He said that if i, really concerned I could use some electrical silicone on the base.

The OSRAM Rallye 65W would be agood choice however they are 3700K meaning they look yellowish where the HIR 4300K's are much whiter.

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
If you are gonna get HID dont go cheap **** because you will get what you pay for, I did that the 1st time round and had 2 ballasts **** themselves.
I ended up going through DelonixRadar Australia - Car Accessories, HID Xenon lights, Radar Detectors who where fantastic, I have had no issues or hassles plus everything is good for canbus systems.

but for the love of god get projector headlights in before doing it!