Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE sv6 faults with extractors

morgo-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 60th anniversary
Not a completely accurate statement in regards to VE V6's, as the later model ones (MY08-MY11) have limited support. It's the reason the exhaust shop would have said what they said, assuming his car is between MY08-MY11

yer its an 08 ute, if this warning light issue occurs will i be able to fix it with one of those self tuning kits that can be uploaded to the ecm by myself available from yous as mentioned in that link you posted or do i need a professional, hoping to get extractors-2.5 exhaust and otr intake for now

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Is it worth doing a tune if the car doesn't have any mods at all?

I just had a tune done on my standard MY10 auto SV6, in terms of economy, it's about 1.5l/100ks better and way more responsive. It's also faster off the mark and a lot smoother on half throttle.

MACE

Reaction score
yer its an 08 ute, if this warning light issue occurs will i be able to fix it with one of those self tuning kits that can be uploaded to the ecm by myself available from yous as mentioned in that link you posted or do i need a professional, hoping to get extractors-2.5 exhaust and otr intake for now
Put it this way, if you have the ability to send emails with attachments and plug in USB cables then you won't have any problems with programming your vehicle yourself

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Sorry to dig threads but if I got a set of extractors and cats without a tune would any damage occur if I drove the car for a short time before getting a tune?

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
Sorry to dig threads but if I got a set of extractors and cats without a tune would any damage occur if I drove the car for a short time before getting a tune?

No damage, been driving mine with the light on for a few weeks now( after fitting pacemaker headers and 2.5 inch 200 cpi cats).
Just got my new tune sent this week and will be downloading to the car on Monday.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Awesome news! Does it run like ****/coughs splutters? Thinking of getting a set but probs can't afford the tune straight up and I couldn't resist putting them on straight away. Haha

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
Awesome news! Does it run like ****/coughs splutters? Thinking of getting a set but probs can't afford the tune straight up and I couldn't resist putting them on straight away. Haha

No, it runs perfectly with more grunt right through the rev range. For the first week there was no light , then it came on while driving, the car runs the same with it on or off.
My setup is ceramic coated pacemakers into 2.5 inch 200 cpi cats, stock 2.25 cat back twin system with ss twin tip mufflers( near new $50 each from Walkinshore dealer). The system is quiet while cruising with no drone and has bit of bark up in the revs.

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
Did the factory sensors need to be moved for the pacemakers? I am looking at some pacemakers myself. Cost? Do you have a video. I hear its hard to get a system without droning in a V6.

No,don't need to be moved the pacemakers have a port for the front o2 sensor.
Do a search on Ebay ( ve v6 commodore headers) , $415 posted from onlineperformance.
I got mine ceramic coated, direct from Jet Hot Coatings for around $750 to my door.
If your getting headers I would advise you to get some high flow cats, as the factory cats are the biggest restriction in the exhaust.
Once again try Ebay, I got 2.5 inch 200cpi metal core ones for 110 each. They need to be short, less than 10 inches so they can be made to fit.
Exhaust shop will charge a few hundred ( me $300) to fit, as its half day job.
Don't wast your money on a cat back as the stock system is twin 2.25 inch and flows fine ( unless you plan cams or supercharger).
You can pick up second hand ss rear mufflers for very little, they flow a bit more and the quad tips look good.( no drone)
I see your asking about mods for the car, here is a list that Steve from Mace gave me.
Cold air intake
25mm manifold insulators
Headers and cats
Tune
Underdrive kit, in that order.
Hope this helps

Silver6

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SV6
That's a huge help thanks :) I will buy the parts here and there and do it all slowly.
So it's the single tip muffler that makes the drone?
What is an under drive kit though?

Do you have a video of exhaust by any chance?

I am waiting in my 25mm insulator to come. Still deciding on what cold air intake to get. I want a fully enclosed one so cops don't bother me. Tune will be the final step. Probably get it all installed and tuned at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk