Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 - worst air con EVER?

joni

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina 2009
I have a 2009 VE Berlina and the aircon shuts down after 30min or 1 hour of driving 110km/hr and doesnt start back, unless i stop the car and have to wait for it to turn on again. I have been to the Holden Dealer and they said everything is fine. it has happened to me 4 times already.

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
my sv6 isnt the coldest either to be ohnest i could blow colder air out of my ass at a faster rate, maybe because mine is a ute? less sensors or something i dont no but other cars iv been in are amazing, mums mondeo isnt cold either suprisingly :S

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
In my opinion you should try consulting with another dealership. Nothing is fine when your A/C shuts off like that.

I have a 2009 VE Berlina and the aircon shuts down after 30min or 1 hour of driving 110km/hr and doesnt start back, unless i stop the car and have to wait for it to turn on again. I have been to the Holden Dealer and they said everything is fine. it has happened to me 4 times already.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Mine isn't great but better than my last car.

I have found running the fan at a lower speed means the air being delivered is colder. But mine is not bad enough to complain. Will wait for the first 40c day in Sydney to see if it gets worse

vgisit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Same problem

I've got the same issue as described in the original post with my MY10 SV6 Sportwagon.

Basically the air con is not very cold at all when it comes out the vents. It couldn't possibly be designed to be this way.

Probably just needs that software update mentioned.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Few issues with AC on VEs.

Firstly, and this is more of a characteristic than an issue.

In extreme cases such as extended idling or very high ambient temperatures, some customers may complain of poor
air conditioner performance (“loses cooling”) after driving for some time whilst in “recirculation” mode. They may even
perceive that the air conditioner has “shut off”.
On hot days, the AC is much more effective when in recirc mode. In order to prevent the build up of excessive CO2
(Carbon Dioxide) in the cabin when in recric mode, the AC system will “purge” the cabin air after driving for a set
period of time. It does this by opening the recirc door 30% to let in some fresh air.
It should be noted that when the system is in recirc, no outside air is permitted to enter through the plenum system.
Therefore the occupants of the cabin continually breathe the re-circulated air at increasing levels of CO2 saturation.
Prolonged exposure to high concentrations of CO2 can cause multiple symptoms including lack of attention to detail
and fatigue.
When the purge occurs, a difference may be felt in the cooling effect of the AC. In some cases the customers may
think the AC has turned off.
Although the vent temperature only increases by a few degrees, the humidity can increase (depending on ambient
conditions) when this feature is initiated due to a sudden inrush of moisture laden air. The humidity is quickly returned
to normal levels but the initial change can make the customer think the AC has turned off.
The purge mode lasts for 10 minutes then the system returns to full recirc mode. During this time, the recirc telltale/
icon is still displayed on the switch/display.
The driving time before this feature is initiated varies depending on the HVAC module version installed in the vehicle
and the ambient temperature

Secondly,

The evaporator may ice up reducing or preventing air
flow through the HVAC system. If the vehicle is left
parked after an ice up event, excessive water may be
noticed under the vehicle. The A/C system
performance will improve after the vehicle is parked
for sufficient time for the evaporator to defrost. This
issue may be more common in high humidity
conditions.
CAUSES
1. Vehicles built between 27/11/08 and 29/04/09
Due to a sealing issue between the evaporator and the
case, the evaporator temperature sensor can be
affected by a small amount of un-cooled air. This
results in a false high evaporator temperature reading
causing the evaporator to “Ice up” as the system
attempts to achieve the required temperature.
2. Vehicles built after 29/04/09
Variation in the evaporator temperature results in the
evaporator temp sensor giving an inaccurate reading.

Thirdly,

V8 only

Under full throttle acceleration, the ECM disables the
Air Conditioning (A/C) compressor. This is normal
operation, however in some circumstances the ECM
may fail to switch the A/C compressor back on when
normal driving resumes.
Turning the HVAC controls off or cycling the ignition
temporarily rectifies this concern.
Do not confuse this condition with a faulty A/C module
which would be evidenced by the condensor fan not
working
CAUSE
The ECM software does not reinitiate A/C compressor
operation.

Also could be an AC belt thrown off.

Theres also various other reasons such as leaks at the TX valves, near the LP charge port etc etc.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Great read Ricey

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Sorry to bump and old thread. I have been struggling with A/C issues with my 2012 S2 SV6. Just before Australia Day 2014 I had my 30k service. It was a hot day and on the way home I put the A/C on to cool things down. There was little cooling coming from the vents.

On the Australia Day long weekend I took the family down the coast for some R n R. On the way home it was a hot day (35-40 degrees) The A/C unit failed to work at all. Even though the IQ display said I was on air recirculate we were getting smells outside the car coming in. Once I got back home (some 150klm later) I took the car straight to my dealer so they could see the problem. A software update was done and I had cool air again.

After a week or so using the A/C it just didn't seem to be that crisp coldness coming from the vents. I advised the dealer and they told me that it might be worth doing a re-gas of the A/C. We had that done and nothing changed. I kept onto the dealer about the A/C air temp no longer being icy cold. They said they will look further into the complaint.

I received a call late last week advising me that Holden were releasing a techline to fix VE A/C problems relating to cold air temps. I was booked in for Thursday 27 Feb 14 (today) to have the service fix completed. The service fix was to relocate thermistor and revised calibration for the relocation. This fix is for A/C freeze not my issue. When I picked up the car this afternoon and was driving home with the A/C on and there was not change to the air temp coming from the vents, it was just cold. I turned around and took the car back to the dealer.

When I arrived back they sent the service foreman out with a thermometer (analogue temp gauge at the top and an 8 inch metal spike coming from the bottom) The tech stuck the whole thing down into the air vent when the temp read 0 degrees... This is apparently how Holden have told technicians to check A/C temp. What a load of crap, first I have heard of it. We have an $800 inferred laser temp sensor which shoots a laser beam to check A/C temps in offices. I used this on my car and the temp reading of the air coming out of the vents was 11.9 degrees, the cars that have nice cold (icy) air run at 4 degrees.

Spoke to the Service manager who wanted to go for a drive with the A/C on. He admitted that he has a VE S2 SV6 Z series wagon (same car) and his A/C is colder. We got back to the dealership and he logged a case with Holden technical.

I questioned whether the A/C unit or a sensor (Evap Temp Sensor and housing) is not working properly/faulty as I read in another forum this solved a lot of A/C issues for a person, I got no response. The service manager did say sometime playing with the A/C gas levels can improve A/C response. However we are going to wait for a response from Holden.

Has anyone else experienced similar problem and had it rectified and has nice icy cold A/C when set to "C"?

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Hexy,
Holden has had two goes at making my A/C better (colder) with no success.

They also put a thermometer into the ctr vents (at least a digital type) and said it pulls down to 5 deg C within 5 mins which is acceptable to them. Piss-poor if you ask me. I managed to convince the techy to test another car that was sitting there (SV6 sedan 2012) and it pulled down to 2 deg in 45 seconds and was noticely colder by holding your hand in the air stream.
Mine is the climate control auto system but I normally have the temp dialled down to C (coldest) on hot days but it can't hack it. BTW, thats how the temp is checked by Holden...

I have independently checked gas volume (removed & replaced) and monitored system pressures via gauges and can't fault anything.

What do you do???? Jack-up the number plates??

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Mate the un-marked cop cars at work (basic VE 2 omega's) have colder A/C than mine. I intend to keep the pressure on them to fix it (make it colder). Holden told me if they make it to cold I will get freezing up issues.... LOL. I got that issue without it even getting cold.. Piss poor response if you ask me.

Likewise on a reasonably hot day (28 degrees) I have the A/C running on C on the climate control and fan speed 10 just to match the heat... I have dark tint also to reduce heat. When we had temps upwards of 35+ forget about it. My back was sweating in the seat.. That's never happened to me before with any of my cars in the 20 plus years I've been driving cars with A/C.

Last edited: