Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Tow bar harness questions

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
As someone said, they may just have to program it in with the tech2 or what ever they use. Can't do that one your self on the screen like the sensor adding the bar distance.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
As someone said, they may just have to program it in with the tech2 or what ever they use. Can't do that one your self on the screen like the sensor adding the bar distance.

This may or may not be relevant but when I fitted a genuine Tow Bar and Harness to my VZ Wagon, I also had to remove a wire inside the rear panel as per the instructions so the sensors would not operate when the trailer was connected.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Not sure on either things, although as far as I know there is no removal of wires, and I know people have mentioned tech 2 programming on other threads for the trailer Ecu but haven't found any definite info..

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
The plug doesn't actually disable the sensors
If I plug trailer in and immediately go into reverse My sensors still work, But if I drive forward at for a few meters above approx 15K's the sensors register the trailer and the next time I select reverse the sensors are disabled.
Like wise removing trailer, if I select reverse straight after disconnecting trailer they are still disabled, until aforementioned forward movement.
This is how My SII SV6 with factory harness works.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
The plug doesn't actually disable the sensors
If I plug trailer in and immediately go into reverse My sensors still work, But if I drive forward at for a few meters above approx 15K's the sensors register the trailer and the next time I select reverse the sensors are disabled.
Like wise removing trailer, if I select reverse straight after disconnecting trailer they are still disabled, until aforementioned forward movement.
This is how My SII SV6 with factory harness works.

That's interesting, I'll have to have a look and see if this happens with mine, thanks for that

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There should be no programming necessary, as least there wasn't with the series 1 as i fitted the loom myself and it worked instantly.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Must be the season for trouble with Reverse Sensors/Trailer Connectors because mine started playing up last week so here is what I learnt.

The switch in the Connector is called a Reed Switch.

Inside the Connector Flap is a very small magnet and in mine the magnet fell out, probably because I just let the flap spring shut when disconnecting the Trailer.

Tried Holden for the plug but they only sell the complete Harness at $80+ retail.

Repco did not have the required plug and did not know what I was referring to so I got onto Narva and got the code for the plug I needed and ordered just the plug through Repco $24 retail.

Swapped the plug over yesterday and all is good again.

TANKA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII S-PACK N/A V6
I had the same issue and holden had no idea, but an auto electrian helped.

That plug is connected to -12v via the reed switch in the trailer connector, when the trailer plug door is open the reed switch opens and breaks the connection.

What you need to do is find you reverse park assist modual (usually in the passenger rear fender forward of the battery) and find the ground wire ( will have continuity to -12v) cut this wire and extend the side coming from the RPA modual, run that wire neatly down to the connector from the trailer harness and cut and join together.

Now when you select reverse you should be able to stand behind your car and the reverse sensors will sound, now open the trailer plug door and they will shut off. If you close the door they will turn back on.

Brian S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Commodore series 2 sportwagon LFX Z series
I just got fitted a genuine towbar and loom to a SII CalaisV Sportwagon, my parking sensors are still staying on when I go into reverse with a trailer connected, so im guessing something isnt wired up to the parking module?
I have taken a picture of a plug that is going no where and its near the battery. This plug is apart of the towbar loom.
View attachment 176503

Brian S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Commodore series 2 sportwagon LFX Z series
In that picture posted with the earth-wire there is a plug attached to the side of the wire and it is attached to a grey wire where, in the trailer plug does it attach to what colour wire, Thank you Brian