Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Useable engine life...about 550k.

NissanSilvia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I noticed on a recent ad for the VF they mention that they test a VF Commodore to 2,000,000 km.

I can tell you from my experience with Taxi's that the VE engine only lasts to approx 550k and the gearbox needs replacing approaching 400k.

I wish they would publicise this rather than claiming that their car went to 2,000,000km's.

After re-occuring head problems with a VE engine at approx 550k's, the Holden Dealership mechanics were unable to fix it after multiple attempts and advised me to buy a hybrid for a taxi as they were all going that way.

On the other side of the fence, I personally know BA Falcon taxi's where the engine has done 1,000,000km's without the head ever coming off.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I noticed on a recent ad for the VF they mention that they test a VF Commodore to 2,000,000 km.

I can tell you from my experience with Taxi's that the VE engine only lasts to approx 550k and the gearbox needs replacing approaching 400k.

I wish they would publicise this rather than claiming that their car went to 2,000,000km's.

Are you saying their car did different (less) than that claimed?

After re-occuring head problems with a VE engine at approx 550k's, the Holden Dealership mechanics were unable to fix it after multiple attempts and advised me to buy a hybrid for a taxi as they were all going that way.

On the other side of the fence, I personally know BA Falcon taxi's where the engine has done 1,000,000km's without the head ever coming off.

?????? wtf is the point of your post?

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
You do realise what the word "test" means

NissanSilvia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
The point of my post is that in their advertising they give the impression that if need be the car could last to 2,000,000km as it has been tested to this point.

But in reality as told to me by Holden mechanics, they are unable to diagnose and fix the engine at 550k's, with their advice being to buy a Toyota.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
“Years in the making, over 3.3 million kilometres of testing – that’s over two million miles if you’re in America…” the ad says.
If we are talking about the same ad, they don't mean that's with one vehicle:
[video=youtube_share;uhhcaN03tXs]http://youtu.be/uhhcaN03tXs[/video]

Warrantable life according to GM is actually 100,000 miles in the US, 170,000k here. That's their legal position. In terms of how far you can stretch that according to the service schedule before some significant overhaul I say 550k is amazing, given 24hr urban abuse as a Taxi.
A major overhaul could be anything from replacing the timing chain (likely) to cracking the heads to replacing the engine.
Falcons do make better Taxis if only for the incredible fact they go a million k with same valve train and still meet emission requirements, but nowhere near as neat and comfortable as a VF Commie IMO, both are crap as metro cabs compared to hybrids. However the majority of Australian towns (non-metro) still use Aussie sixes from my observation.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The limo driver I use told me he knows guys who have got 6-700k from the VE's and they're still going when they update. But others have run into problems earlier. Just because yours was dead at 550k doesn't mean that's how long to expect for every car and engine.

What where the unrepairable head problems?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Hurr Durr replacement engine.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Nowhere did they claim an engine would last 2 million km (or miles).

They did 2 million miles of testing - that was probably the combined mileage of several test cars.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
so did you buy a prius?

Or a civic?

PIMPIN'

cabs-02.jpg