Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE verses VF genuine GMH roof racks - are they identical?

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 3.6 SV6 wagon Series II 2017
I just received some Holden roof racks I ordered for my VF sv6 wagon. On the fitting instructions, however, they are called roof racks for a 'VE, VM, Utility and Wagon roof bars'. I know the body shape of both VE and VFs are near identical and I'm assuming they are the right ones, but just wanted to check before I try installing them on my VF ... Does anybody here know for sure? Cheers all

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Yes they are the same between VE and VF but are different sedan to wagon due to the width of the rear rack

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks vywgn. Much appreciated!

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes they are the same between VE and VF but are different sedan to wagon due to the width of the rear rack
Fits perfect.

Last edited:

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just hope they don't let water in. Once you've taken off the mounting point covers to install the roof racks, it seems kinda risky that the mounting point is left slightly exposed even once the roof racks are in. They don't sit completely flush/water tight over it. Rain will get in. I'd like to think it's designed to allow for that and the water can't go anywhere ...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s fine. Those trims are only decorative. They are not a seal.

1934461A-211D-4297-B504-90FDD03C21C3.jpeg

It covers where the panels join the roof.

Incidentally Holden used the exact same trim profile on VE and VF as VT to VZ. Same clips secure the trims to the roof, and end pieces, although visually different, fit the same and are interchangeable across all models. The VE, VF trims have been curved a little more than VT-VZ.

I suspect BMW roof trim clips (Holden ones are grossly over priced and harder to find) will also work on VT-VF. Going to try some.

Don’t chuck the covers. Bag them and keep them safe. They are hard to find on their own.

Reactions: XML

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s fine. Those trims are only decorative. They are not a seal.

View attachment 219061
It covers where the panels join the roof.

Incidentally Holden used the exact same trim profile on VE and VF as VT to VZ. Same clips secure the trims to the roof, and end pieces, although visually different, fit the same and are interchangeable across all models. The VE, VF trims have been curved a little more than VT-VZ.

I suspect BMW roof trim clips (Holden ones are grossly over priced and harder to find) will also work on VT-VF. Going to try some.

Don’t chuck the covers. Bag them and keep them safe. They are hard to find on their own.
Nice one. Thanks mate. Does that mean the little holes in the roof for the roof bar clamps are just set into that gutter as well (and don't go into the roof cavity)? I'd probably have to take off the trim to check but, ****, I'm probably just being paranoid. Good luck finding some new trims. I've been having a good run at Pete Page Parts Direct in Adelaide for Holden gear lately.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Peter Page rocks my world.

Reactions: XML

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@XML, the VF/WN Accessory Installation Manual includes a desription about roof rail sealing rework as some cars had too much sealant applied at the factory.... In typical Holden fashion, roof racks are under Exteriour Structural Accessories - Luggage Carrier Attachement Package Installation on page 233/357

The VF/WN Accessory Installation Manual can be found at this post or this post.

@Fu Manchu, the roof bar mounting point covers can be stored within the roof bar ends itself, so shouln't ever be missplalced, all listed within the install instructions ;)

XML

Reaction score
Members Ride
@XML, the VF/WN Accessory Installation Manual includes a desription about roof rail sealing rework as some cars had too much sealant applied at the factory.... In typical Holden fashion, roof racks are under Exteriour Structural Accessories - Luggage Carrier Attachement Package Installation on page 233/357

The VF/WN Accessory Installation Manual can be found at this post or this post.

@Fu Manchu, the roof bar mounting point covers can be stored within the roof bar ends itself, so shouln't ever be missplalced, all listed within the install instructions ;)
This is very helpful @Skylarking Cheers mate. The instructions that came with the racks didn't include the pages about lifting the ditch mould to check for excessive sealant. Having said that, the racks went in without a fight, so I guess my car wasn't among those that copped too much. Maybe I'll have a look anyway.