Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE,VF SV6 Ute questions...

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi all

Just wondering what's the best version of the SV6 ute to buy? Series 1 or Series 2 VE or Series 1 VF? Hows the manual in the VE ute? Only looking to pay $12k since its going to be a work car.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Series 2 VE or VF, for HFV6 reliability/longevity.
VE2 is simpler, fewer things that go "beep", and VF1 didn't get the HUD which I think is the biggest advance in terms of ongoing utility in the VF.
Many people have said the VE aircon works better, stuff like SatNav is easier to implement in the VE2 (ie. a complete head-unit replacement with Android Auto & CarPlay).

I reckon that if you don't prefer the VF by a reasonable margin after test-driving the two, the VE2 is the better value.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
VF SV6 all the way. Worth the extra couple. That was my work car a few years ago. Series 1 or 2 doesn't matter. Better tech than VE. The (VF) manual sucked for me. My thoughts were first gear is to short, 6th gear is to tall. Changing gears all the time, shitty thottle drive by wire filter thing took a while to get used to you. It was like the throttle blade ramp was very slow. Wasn't like pedaling a Hilux or Isuzu diesel. For that reason I recommend an auto.

The blind spot monitoring is awesome, as is the automatic parallel parking! The inbuilt bluetooth worked a treat.

It hated running on 91. F'ckin LOVED E85!!! Would recommend 95+ octane (funnily enough that's what it says in the owners manual too) so take that into account for your fuel costs.

Plus the VF is the last of the Aussie builts. Would be un-Austraian not to take that into consideration too... (Flame on lol)

Reactions: Lex

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
VF SV6 all the way. Worth the extra couple. That was my work car a few years ago. Series 1 or 2 doesn't matter. Better tech than VE. The (VF) manual sucked for me. My thoughts were first gear is to short, 6th gear is to tall. Changing gears all the time, shitty thottle drive by wire filter thing took a while to get used to you. It was like the throttle blade ramp was very slow. Wasn't like pedaling a Hilux or Isuzu diesel. For that reason I recommend an auto.

The blind spot monitoring is awesome, as is the automatic parallel parking! The inbuilt bluetooth worked a treat.

It hated running on 91. F'ckin LOVED E85!!! Would recommend 95+ octane (funnily enough that's what it says in the owners manual too) so take that into account for your fuel costs.

Plus the VF is the last of the Aussie builts. Would be un-Austraian not to take that into consideration too... (Flame on lol)

I have a VF SSV Redline and just need the ute as a work car so that's why the V6 was mentioned. Series 2 VE seems to be in the price range I'm willing to pay for a work car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Series 2 VE seems to be in the price range I'm willing to pay for a work car.
If you’ve drawn a price line in that sand, find the lowest km best condition vehicle within your self defined (inflicted) price range. Get it inspected/tested. If the results indicate it’s in great condition, and lines up with the service records, with little to spend in repairs, you’ll be fine in buying it.

After all it’s a workhorse... where a base model will always have greater load rating capability than an up spec model...

The answer to which is best, VE1, VE2 or VF1, obviously has a price attached to it and very much depends on use... And Magnum is obviously the best if price is not an issue :cool::p

Since you know what your willing to spend, and what features you like, the answer is academic.... Hint, VE will be easier to upgrade the head unit should you want ACP/AA and an easily updatable GPS... :rolleyes:

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
If you’ve drawn a price line in that sand, find the lowest km best condition vehicle within your self defined (inflicted) price range. Get it inspected/tested. If the results indicate it’s in great condition, and lines up with the service records, with little to spend in repairs, you’ll be fine in buying it.

After all it’s a workhorse... where a base model will always have greater load rating capability than an up spec model...

The answer to which is best, VE1, VE2 or VF1, obviously has a price attached to it and very much depends on use... And Magnum is obviously the best if price is not an issue :cool::p

Since you know what your willing to spend, and what features you like, the answer is academic.... Hint, VE will be easier to upgrade the head unit should you want ACP/AA and an easily updatable GPS... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information and I'll will look at the VE Series 2 since its in my price range. Is the manual similar between the VE and VF?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As a workhorse, I’d probably go for an auto and have a aux. trans cooler installed, makes haulling stuff easier.

I haven’t driven a manual for years so can’t comment on the difference between VE & VF in that regard.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
As a workhorse, I’d probably go for an auto and have a aux. trans cooler installed, makes haulling stuff easier.

I haven’t driven a manual for years so can’t comment on the difference between VE & VF in that regard.

My VF SSV Redline is manual so would prefer a manual ute..

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
What VE models had the timing chain issue? I know the VE series 2 the problem was rectified.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There are so many VE's still around that I don't know what the chances of having the problem are ... I think they're still a safer bet than an earlier HFV6 incarnation ... but I'd treat all V6 VE1's the same in that regard.