Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE2 fader is greyed out

Bud977

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VF Track Edition, VE2 SSV Redline ute
I just bought an '11 SSV Redline ute. I can't turn up the factory sub-woofer as the Fader control is greyed out, so is unavailable. Any idea why this would be so? The speakers are working after my sparky replaced a blown fuse in the amp in the back panel.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

Bud977

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, thanks. I tried that but it apparently only works on VE Series 1. I've searched but can't find the same for the VE Series 2.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There are no rear speakers in VE/VF utes, so the fader isn't enabled in the head unit.
Getting it enabled wont do anything unless you fit and wire rear speakers.
Subs are controlled by the head unit, which sends signals to the sub amp mounted on the rear wall of the cabin.
Locate the amp and you might be able to tweak the 'gain control'.

Bud977

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are factory standard rear speakers in the SSVs. There are 2 x 8" speakers in the bottom of the B pillars, and an amp behind the rear panel.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
There are factory standard rear speakers in the SSVs. There are 2 x 8" speakers in the bottom of the B pillars, and an amp behind the rear panel.
Indeed. Are you sure they aren't just 8" subwoofers fed from the front stereo source?
HSV G8 definitely have something along those lines with an amp (don't know if/how the fader works for them though)... https://salvageautosales.com.au/product/ve-hsv-ssv-ss-holden-commodore-ute-rear-speakers-and-amp/

Here's the vent/bracket that all VE utes probably have... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174343928011

There is some interesting stuff about rear speakers on Series II IQ in this thread (from a guy asking about his VE SV6 ute)... https://www.carmodder.com/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=24263

Perhaps the easiest solution, if you have the wiring nous: This (VIC) site claims their $145 kit will unlock VE SII ute fader and enable rear speakers... https://www.aslautomedia.com.au/ve-series-2-e3-utility-speaker-fader-upgrade. (Speakers not included.)

Bud977

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks UTE042NZ. I've read all the links, and other info on the net, and figure it is not worth the effort to change.

I would have thought that a factory four speaker (well, 5 including the front centre speaker) system would have L-R and Fr-Rr adjustment as standard. But it appears to not be the case.

I have disconnected the centre front speaker, set the bass to max in the Audio settings, and the sub-woofer starts to be heard once you crank the volume up a bit.

It would be nice if the rear sub-woofer speakers came in at a lower volume, like with a loudness button, but I'll live with it the way it is for now.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

They are sub woofers, not full range speakers, and not fitted in all utes, only upper models.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Thanks UTE042NZ. I've read all the links, and other info on the net, and figure it is not worth the effort to change.

I would have thought that a factory four speaker (well, 5 including the front centre speaker) system would have L-R and Fr-Rr adjustment as standard. But it appears to not be the case.

I have disconnected the centre front speaker, set the bass to max in the Audio settings, and the sub-woofer starts to be heard once you crank the volume up a bit.

It would be nice if the rear sub-woofer speakers came in at a lower volume, like with a loudness button, but I'll live with it the way it is for now.

If the sub amp is the same as in the sedan, you can turn the subs up from the amp.

See 2.29 in this vid.....