Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF 6.2 M6 Diff Oil and Trans Fluid

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
So I changed my trans fluid and diff oil on the weekend and thought I would share the info here with anyone else who is keen to do this themselves rather than a dealership.

My car has done 20,000KM but as I have done a few track days and felt my gear shift was abit notchy it was time to change the fluids, as I do not believe the fluid is there for life.

For trans you will need
the square end of a ratchet or or square allen key 10mm
pump bottle - Ordered online for a better price

I filled my trans with Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP as listed on the AC Delco website. Seems you can only buy this stuff from the states and will need 4xquartz bottles. There is something similar you can buy within Australia but it is not the HP version,

undo the fill plug first then the drain plug (make sure you undo fill plug first (it is normal to hear abit of hiss from air escaping)). The fluid looked very pink when I drained it and the fluid that went in was very red. When doing the drain plug back up dont worry about torque wrenching it as it will just keep winding in (it wont stop) so just do the plug back up inline with the factory check markings and take note how far the plug sticks out before you undo it.

I used the pump bottle and filled in 3.5L Then finger tight the plug back in and start engine up and let run for 1 minute then turn off. After that I topped up until just started to weep from fill point and the trans took 3.6L. I notice the shift is really nice now and easy and no longer notchy.

For the diff you will need
torque head or allen key of 8mm
pump bottle once again - i ordered two rather than having to worry about cleaning out between trans and diff oils.

I bought the correct diff oil made by Castrol for Holden instead of AC Delco stuff. The special Holden/Castrol diff oil can only be bought from a Holden dealer and it is part #92184900.

Once again undo the fill plug first, then the drain plug. The oil was black and grey that came out and the stuff that went in was a yellow clear looking fluid. You will be advised that the capacity is 2.3L on the fill which is incorrect. You will only be able to get 1.2-1.3L into the diff so only buy 2 bottles. Make sure you torque wrench the fill and drain plugs to 33nM. I have to say the car travels much better now with fresh diff oil and seems to just glide effortlessly.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Thanks SC , good write up

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. I do mine regularly and hints/tips are good.

2 things.. yes you MUST use the proper Holden diff oil
which by the way now comes in an ACDelco bottle!
and HSV VF manual boxes need 4.4 litres for a refill :)

I use the Penrite stuff for the gearbox.. better than anything I have tried

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
.. I do mine regularly and hints/tips are good.

2 things.. yes you MUST use the proper Holden diff oil
which by the way now comes in an ACDelco bottle!
and HSV VF manual boxes need 4.4 litres for a refill :)

I use the Penrite stuff for the gearbox.. better than anything I have tried

really? are you sure? thats what I thought but when looking up on the system that wasnt the case, hence why I added the Holden part number as the AC Delco was different to the Holden stuff.

So is the HSV Manual box different to what is in the Motorsport Edition Commodore?

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hopefully the pictures load, this is what I used. From my experience be careful with the AC Delco vs Holden brand diff oil it is different. But if you don't care you can use what you choose I guess, I'm only give my opinion/advice.

240686978_10158047679846036_8840162780067758903_n.jpg
240755614_10158047679811036_3722281591560397980_n.jpg

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I've been using the Holden diff oil in the black bottle/red label as above for 7 years, just to ensure zero issues really, but I've come to the conclusion that with a VE label, a sealed for life attitude and a higher price, it's probably had quite a few more years on the shelves than every other option out there. I'm about to blend (cross fingers) 1l of my last Holden bottle with 200ml of, hopefully my new go to, Penrite GL-5 75w-85. Its about half the price on a good day.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Good point about undoing the fill plug before the drain plug.....
I had a brown undies tantrum a few years ago when I did this in the other order and spent ages getting the stuck fill plug undone.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I've been using the Holden diff oil in the black bottle/red label as above for 7 years, just to ensure zero issues really, but I've come to the conclusion that with a VE label, a sealed for life attitude and a higher price, it's probably had quite a few more years on the shelves than every other option out there. I'm about to blend (cross fingers) 1l of my last Holden bottle with 200ml of, hopefully my new go to, Penrite GL-5 75w-85. Its about half the price on a good day.

I have used Penrire in mine last time. much cheaper than AcDelco stuff

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I have used Penrire in mine last time. much cheaper than AcDelco stuff

Me too with the penrite oil in the diff and I've done a couple of track days as well. No issues at all.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon