Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF annoying window/door rattle

CHP73

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VF1 Sportwagon
When you say seat belt buckle was that the passagers side or back seat belt buckles?
It was the passengers side hanging on the side seatbelt buckle that was making rattling noise.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
seems that everyone is experiencing this rattle however the source of the issue can vary. I know that mine is not due to the striker or the seatbelt buckle.

roteron

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
YES !
I make no apologies for resurecting this thread! I've been annoyed for quite some time with this door issue. I can best describe it as a rattle or jiggle, with a squeak at the end of each jiggle. Sometimes it could be more of a quick knocking sound. It happens over bumps/rough roads. It has been getting worse over recent times. I though I might have found the problem in the loose door wiring plastic grommet under the rubber wiring seal from the b pillar to the rear door...both sides were loose and the area makes quite an echo. Some tape around them thickened them up enough to fixed the loose, but not the rattle!

Turns out that electrical tape around the door stikers has finally cured it! I wrapped about 100mm of engine bay type tape around the left side strikers which were the most problematic, with an occassional rattle from the right side. Went for a spin and rattle gone! I subsequently wrapped the rh also.

I dont know if I would have ever thought of doing that. It may have also cured the squeak when reversing out the driveway diagonally. Perhaps the doors are loose when locked on the striker, or the striker mechanism itself is loose and the whole door jiggles causing the seals to squeak, or the innards to resonate. Dunno. Dont like the idea of the tape as a final solution, but its a hell of a lot better than listening to that awful noise!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I've had multiple door rattles, found the issue to be the striker. I tried adjusting it with no luck. My solution for this was to add a little bit of spring wrap, no more rattles.
Look at older model commodores, the striker had a black plastic on them, current ones are bare metal.
Yeah, i sometimes have this annoyance on my MSE but the dealer couldn't find fault. So i'll try some tape as a test to se if it's the same issue. In case it is, which modlel is the 'older commodore' you refer to and can these strikers be retrofitted to the VF II?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
100 MM seems a bit excessive. I originally posted this issue in the VF Commodore issues and faults. The VE had the rubber on the striker so after my dealer couldn't fix the problem on my first VF, Calais V, i took the car home and put on the black electrical tap on the striker. I've done the SS but on both cars it's only been the drivers door. I probably only used 50mm of tape as anything too thick causes the door lock to stick.

ADAM HAWKING

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SERIES 2 SSV REDLINE
With only 2200km on the clock, my VFii redline has had a intermittent rattle/creek noise from the front passenger door around the window. It sometimes happens on the drivers side door and occours even on the most slightly bumy of roads. Its most of the time from the passenger side and occasionally from the drivers door. Its hard to exactly pinpoint where it is coming from but from what I can tell, I suspect its coming from the hard black plastic piece running from the top of the door down to the bottom trim where the door lock button is. See attached pic for example. Does anyone have this issue and have you managed to successfully fix it to stop the annoying creeking noise? Thanks
View attachment 189671
I had an annoying noise in the drivers door in my Redline, it was driving me nuts. Took it to a different dealer, they pulled the B Pillar trim out and tightened everything, but no luck. Took it back to my original dealer, they identified it as the rubber rubbing, they wiped some silicone grease around the door seal, and noise gone! You have to reapply it every 6-9 months but it certainly stopped the noise. Hope this works for you.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
I had an annoying noise in the drivers door in my Redline, it was driving me nuts. Took it to a different dealer, they pulled the B Pillar trim out and tightened everything, but no luck. Took it back to my original dealer, they identified it as the rubber rubbing, they wiped some silicone grease around the door seal, and noise gone! You have to reapply it every 6-9 months but it certainly stopped the noise. Hope this works for you.

So is this just simply the seal around the door, and not anything internal to the door trim? That's an easy job if so, I'll do that just for the hell of it.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
Used to do that on VNs through to VTs as the door seams to walk around the frame on ruff roads,just spray some on a rag and run it around the rubber seal on all doors.

roteron

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
This makes sense, as after I go through the car wash and everything is wet and lubed, the annoying creaking noise dissappears until it dries out. I tired various lubricants before on the seals with minor improvement but no complete solution. I"ll try the silicone lubricant next. The tape around the door strikers cured a different noise for me...more of a knock. There is one more rattle coming from within the door panel, just above the speaker...when you press on the door trim here is dissappears so that will be coming off soon.

Then there is the new rattle coming from inside the roof liner behind the sunroof....