Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore locked in

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The boys on GM insider news talk about the flexibility of the platform. and how it's not that tough for them to make a large facelift without going over the top. by that facelift time they should be using the new 5.5lt V8 and other news was they intended to reduce the size of the A pillar, but time and money was against them for Series 2. when i see the camaro has the VE platform under it. you cant deny its got a few tricks up its sleeve.

The problem with changing the pillars is all the other changes that are necessary too such as front doors, glass, roof and associated trim and dash changes. I can't see it myself but would be happy to be wrong on this one. Changing front/rear sheet metal is a relatively straight forward proposition.

i disagree... i dont think its a "major problem" at all.
yeah it takes like 5min to get used to it, but I can honestly say ive never been driving along thinking "damn... I cant see ****!".
move your head 5cm, problem solved.
I much prefer to have to move my head voluntarily like that, then having it moved for me and hurt in a collision. there's a reason the A pillar is thicker than previous holdens.... its because its safer.

Yeah it is, particularly amongst females. You can hide a semi trailer behind them if you try hard enough!

if im going to complain about anything, its the integrated audio setup thats the most annoying. on current VE's it looks shait and because its all tied in with the security functions of the car, it cant be modified.

I can't see that changing either. They are going to become more integrated if anything.

- article

GOD NO!
The reason Ford changed things up is because they got nothing to lose... they are getting flogged in sales.
I couldnt imagine a worse fate than a Commodore being front wheel drive!!!
Glad the boss isnt looking to change it!

The Commodore will remain RWD for at least the rest of the life of the Zeta platform which is expected to be 10+ years (with upgrades along the way). Beyond 2020 anything is possible however I would think FWD is unlikely unless there is a major shift or world change in the next 4 years by when the decision will be made.

Reaper

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
i doubt the commodore will go front wheel drive, the only reason the falcon is cause there bringing in the tauras, giving you awd and fwd.
and ford motor company US doesnt know **** about australian buyers.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
The pillars are a pain in the arse but once you get used to them they aren't too bad.

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
I'd be pretty happy with a awd drivetrain tho. I'll keep dreaming.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I mentioned earlier that external changes would be chiefly restricted to the panels forward of the windscreen. Reaper mentioned that he believes the change will be along the lines of VP to VR. That was quite an extensive change and I don't think the VE can go that far because of the method of construction used in the VE's manufacture. The VE was the first Holden to use single panel side pressings, instead of assembling multiple panels. This means that the rear quarter panels are part of the whole side pressing and any modifications to the rear quarter sheet metal would mean complete new dies for the side pressing. That's obviously well outside the company's financial capacity. Expect nothing more than new bumpers and light assemblies for the back end.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
The problem with changing the pillars is all the other changes that are necessary too such as front doors, glass, roof and associated trim and dash changes. I can't see it myself but would be happy to be wrong on this one. Changing front/rear sheet metal is a relatively straight forward proposition.

Reaper
What gets me is the A pillar isn't that huge. more the trim is massive. like my VT, not the biggest looking A pillars from outside. but the trim inside make it look large.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
What gets me is the A pillar isn't that huge. more the trim is massive. like my VT, not the biggest looking A pillars from outside. but the trim inside make it look large.

thats also what i ment before. the inside trim is huge. especially jumping from being used to a Vs inside.
and correct me if im wrong, but id presume the calais one is even bigger because of airbags inside there?

also when driving the VE it felt like it had many blindspots, would be good if this could be helped some way

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

It's a combination of the pillar being moderately large and a very raked back A pillar. Measure the distance between your eye (in your normal position) and compare it to a VE. The VE is heaps less and thus the (reverse) perspective makes it more obtrusive than it needed be.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

It's a combination of the pillar being moderately large and a very raked back A pillar. Measure the distance between your eye (in your normal position) and compare it to a VE. The VE is heaps less and thus the (reverse) perspective makes it more obtrusive than it needed be.

Reaper